May 13, 2008 Connoisseurs

mgraham333

My Borders has no new Conns. :tdown

Yep, I was denied as well. But I called a local independent jazz record store (yep, there's actually 1 still in the area) and he's holding a copy for me.

Thank God for independent stores, especially of the jazz variety.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any comments on Head On?

The sound clips I heard did not thrill me nor was I liking the fact that Bobby Hutcherson, a great composer, wrote very few of the tunes on that album.

But I would like to hear what those who have it say.

If you're expecting Hutch to swing, you will be severely disappointed. May be of interest to the hardcore Hutch collector, but it's a bore for me as it sounds more like classical music than anything else. The whole time I was listening, I kept hearing "it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing." Heck, even the cover photo seems to be saying "Turn this stuff OFF!!!"

I haven't received and heard the Conn of this one yet, but I have the lp and I like it. It's not the hardbop Bobby, but it's a very interesting fusion of third stream and Bobby's sound, and I really feel it was a valid statement from him at the time. Eager to hear the Conn.

I like the Hutch very much. I don't have it in front of me but the tune with "Togo" in the name is really outstanding. Kind of moderately experimental stuff that was somewhat typical of its time. This one will hold up, I think. I'm glad I bought it. Stix Hooper is one of the drummers and he always "brings it!"

I like the Hutch very much. I don't have it in front of me but the tune with "Togo" in the name is really outstanding. Kind of moderately experimental stuff that was somewhat typical of its time. This one will hold up, I think. I'm glad I bought it. Stix Hooper is one of the drummers and he always "brings it!"

HI:

That track is "Togo Land." This was the track I refered to earlier that had the obnoxious bass figure repeated through out the song. The song IMO started out weak, but gained insterest latter on. At least for me the good parts were spoiled by that bass line. Just too intrusive for me I guess. I thought the last two bonus tracks were rather good.

I will listen to this album again over the weekend.

Michael

For those of you who are still looking to acquire one or more of these reissues, Amazon is presently selling the Gillespie-Moody-Fuller, Smith, and Turrentine titles for $9.97 each, the Bobby Hutcherson for $11.99, and the Art Farmer for $12.99.

It would be hard to beat the prices on the first three titles mentioned considering that Amazon offers free shipping for orders totaling $25.00 or greater and Amazon does not levy a sales tax on the residents of most states.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up Head On.

Initial impressions are that the first two tracks are interesting, but it all goes down hill from there.

Too much of the writing sounds cliche and Bobby's tune "Hey Harold" sounds a lot to me like Quincy Jones's theme music for the film The Pawnbroker.

Got and am enjoying the Turrentine, anyone have any idea why the versions of "Up Up & Away" and "Georgie Girl" listed in discographies for the second session seren't included?

No clue, but then I'm not sure I want to hear Stanley T playing these tunes anyway.

I do, I love hearing genuine jazz populists like stanley or Grant Green play hits of the day. neither of these is any more unlikely than "Little Green Apples" or "McArthur Park" which were issued at the time. Not quite the range grant showed doing evrything from "On Top of Spaghetti" to Mozart... Sonny Criss did a very swinging "Up, Up & Away", apparently he thought it was an instruction as to tempo.

I picked up Head On.

Initial impressions are that the first two tracks are interesting, but it all goes down hill from there.

Too much of the writing sounds cliche and Bobby's tune "Hey Harold" sounds a lot to me like Quincy Jones's theme music for the film The Pawnbroker.

Head On has always been my least favorite Hutcherson-Land record , so the only way I would have been interested in picking up this CD is if the previously unissued tracks were considerably better than the ones on the original vinyl . Sounds like this isn't the case , and that the problem ( as on the original tracks ) is the Todd Cochran charts . Thanks for the report .

I wonder if the six unissued tunes Hutcherson-Land recorded for Blue Note in December 1971 are any better....