May 13, 2008 Connoisseurs

mgraham333

Stanley Turrentine – Return Of The Prodigal Son (the June 23 & July 28, 1967 sessions)

Louis Smith – Smithville (first time in stereo with two bonus tracks)

Bobby Hutcherson – Head On (includes three previously unissued tracks)

Art Farmer – Brass Shout (includes Aztec Suite)

Dizzy Gillespie & James Moody with Gil Fuller & The Monterey Jazz Festival Orchestra (includes Moody's Night Flight album)

You know the drill.... use the links to support Organissimo.

Presently CDU has all but the Smith listed as Imports and consequently priced higher. I'll contact their customer service and get them straightened out like with the last batch of RVGs.

Edited by mgraham333

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A great batch. It is unfortunate that the Brass Shout/Aztec Suite didn't come out earlier. This looks almost exactly like a Gambit release (out for about a year), with the same cover even, so it will confuse some people. I have Head On, but with the bonus tracks, I'll almost certainly get the new release. Looks like May will be an expensive month. :cool:

I'm curious as to what Head On is like?

I am/was too. I've been diggin' around on-line for some sound clips or full-length cuts, and I think I've found one long clip (actually two from the same tune, I think).

http://www.ut-most.com/?pid=3842559

If you have a flash player loaded on your PC, it should auto-play when the page loads (the player is the widget at the top center of the page).

The clip(s) appear to be two 45-second segments of the last tune from the original album: Clockwork Of The Spirits.

Interesting...

Edited by Rooster_Ties

The Smith is a great one. Can anyone fill me in on the Turrentine? I see the song list. Was this the "Plays the Pop Hits" album? Sorry, no discography at-hand.

The Turrentine is the companion issue to "A bluish bag". The two CDs contain all of the tracks issued on the LPs "New time shuffle" and sides 1 & 2 of "Stanley Turrentine" (the black twofer), plus (on "Bluish") the non-rejected cuts from an unissued session of 9 June '67 and (on "Prodigal") four (inc 1 alt take) of the seven cuts from an unissued session of 28 July 1967 - the last session Alfred Lion supervised.

MG

The Smith is a great one. Can anyone fill me in on the Turrentine? I see the song list. Was this the "Plays the Pop Hits" album? Sorry, no discography at-hand.

The Turrentine is the companion issue to "A bluish bag". The two CDs contain all of the tracks issued on the LPs "New time shuffle" and sides 1 & 2 of "Stanley Turrentine" (the black twofer), plus (on "Bluish") the non-rejected cuts from an unissued session of 9 June '67 and (on "Prodigal") four (inc 1 alt take) of the seven cuts from an unissued session of 28 July 1967 - the last session Alfred Lion supervised.

MG

These are excellent sessions with incredibly tasty Duke Pearson charts. Stan is the primary soloist but there are nice moments for everyone else involved. But Stan's mastery and Pearson's excellent arrangements are the real stars here.

MG

These are excellent sessions with incredibly tasty Duke Pearson charts. Stan is the primary soloist but there are nice moments for everyone else involved. But Stan's mastery and Pearson's excellent arrangements are the real stars here.

Thank you both.

I'm curious as to what Head On is like?

I am/was too. I've been diggin' around on-line for some sound clips or full-length cuts, and I think I've found one long clip (actually two from the same tune, I think).

http://www.ut-most.com/?pid=3842559

If you have a flash player loaded on your PC, it should auto-play when the page loads (the player is the widget at the top center of the page).

The clip(s) appear to be two 45-second segments of the last tune from the original album: Clockwork Of The Spirits.

Interesting...

Thanks for finding/posting that. Interesting indeed. If the entire album has that vibe, I'm definitely picking this one up!

I think Swinging Swede posted this in another thread. Here's the discographical breakdown on the Turrentine:

Stanley Turrentine Orchestra

Joe Shepley, Marvin Stamm (tp, flh) Garnett Brown, Julian Priester (tb) Al Gibbons (as, fl, bcl) Stanley Turrentine (ts) Joe Farrell (ts, fl) Mario Rivera (bars) McCoy Tyner (p) Bob Cranshaw (b) Ray Lucas (d) Duke Pearson (arr)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, June 23, 1967

1910 tk.4 Better Luck Next Time

1911 tk.11 Bonita

1912 tk.14 Return Of The Prodigal Son

1913 tk.16 Flying Jumbo (Pres's Delight)

1914 tk.27 Ain't No Mountain High Enough

1915 tk.32 New Time Shuffle

Stanley Turrentine Nonet

Blue Mitchell (tp) Garnett Brown (tb) James Spaulding (as, fl) Stanley Turrentine (ts) McCoy Tyner (p) Duke Pearson (org, arr) Bob Cranshaw (b) Ray Lucas (d) Richard Landrum (cga, bgo, tamb)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, July 28, 1967

1928 tk.3 The Look Of Love

1929 tk.14 You Want Me To Stop Loving You

1930 tk.18 Dr. Feelgood

1930 tk.21 Dr. Feelgood (alt.)

1931 tk.34 Up, Up And Away

1932 tk.36 Georgie Girl

1933 tk.39 A Foggy Day

Looks like we were spared (?) the take of "Georgie Girl." :ph34r:

So far I have been unable to convince CDUniverse that listing (and pricing) these items as IMPORTS is a mistake.

Should anyone else care to point out the mistake to CDUniverse you can do so with this link. Perhaps if they get a few more inquiries about it they'll respond.

Listed Correctly

==========================

PID=7662548: Louis Smith - Smithville

Listed as Imports

PID=7661317: Stanley Turrentine - Return Of The Prodigal Son

PID=7657714: Bobby Hutcherson - Head On

PID=7662545: Art Farmer - Brass Shout

PID=7662863: Dizzy Gillespie & James Moody with Gil Fuller - The Monterey Jazz Festival Orchestra

So far I have been unable to convince CDUniverse that listing (and pricing) these items as IMPORTS is a mistake.

any luck? :unsure:

Nope. They are going to have to get reports of the error from more people before they take notice. Even then the customer service reps only know what the computer tells them and if the computer is wrong...

Here is a link to the customer support page.

For reference. The PIDs are the CDU product ID#s.

Listed Correctly

PID=7662548: Louis Smith - Smithville

Listed as Imports

PID=7661317: Stanley Turrentine - Return Of The Prodigal Son

PID=7657714: Bobby Hutcherson - Head On

PID=7662545: Art Farmer - Brass Shout

PID=7662863: Dizzy Gillespie & James Moody with Gil Fuller - The Monterey Jazz Festival Orchestra