May 13, 2008 Connoisseurs

mgraham333

well cd universe just emailed me that the new ones were shipped - no price change though.

I've been trying hard to get them to realize that classifying 4 of the 5 (excluding "Smithville") as imports is in fact incorrect. Got an email from them this morning that they have lowered the price of "Head On", and are currently reviewing the others. I have a feeling that they will come to see things "our" way. When they do, just give them a call on their toll free number (1-800-231-7937) and they will either credit you or refund the price difference. I think that they have a price protection policy for 2 weeks or so from shipping date.

tried to call and get them to figure it out - no luck. oh well at least the music is good!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, Borders with the coupon are the best deal. $8 and some change each..... :tup

You got that right. Best price on a Connoisseur in a long time!

And, YES, the Turrentine cooks! Dare I say some of the most committed playing — especially considering the tune selection — I've ever heard from Turrentine. It blows me away that this didn't come out earlier (though I know it was available earlier in various vinyl and Japanese incarnations). Turrentine's able to take very lightweight fare and turn it into something worth repeated listening — not an easy accomplishment. I like this one better than A Bluish Bag.

And it swings like hell.

I'm not even going to open the Farmer and Gillespie for a while — and just soak in the Prodigal Son.

Oh yeah — McCoy fans will have their ears opened up on this one. McCoy lays the groove down. Ain't no fourths on this set.

Picked up the Farmer, Gillespie, and Turrentine today at Broad Street Borders for a total of 26 bucks. Can't believe these are only priced at Borders for 13.99 each--then there's the 40% coupon. Put the Hutcherson on hold to pick up tomorrow (only three at a time with this coupon).

I am seriously grooving out to Aztec Suite right now. Wow, what charts. Great stuff.

Amazon has them at $13.98 list, and CDU at $11.98. So it seems the Blue Note just dropped the prices on Connoisseurs, period. Can't complain.

40% off made these quite cheap.

Bertrand.

Great news. I'm sure most of the early ones I bought in the mid-90s period were $20 or over plus sales tax, and they were often at least £15 in the UK so this is one item (unlike fuel, food, property, government taxation) that has dropped nicely in real monetary terms.

Looking forward to checking out the latest titles.

According to Borders online inventory, the only Conns to be found in the chain's Texas stores are in a couple stores in the Houston area. The rest of us (D/FW, Austin, San Antonio, etc.) are S.O.L.

If only Forever Young would take these 40%-off coupons! :lol:

Edited by Big Al

Amazon has them at $13.98 list, and CDU at $11.98. So it seems the Blue Note just dropped the prices on Connoisseurs, period. Can't complain.

40% off made these quite cheap.

Bertrand.

3 of them are currently just under $10 at Amazon - the Gillespie, Turrentine and Louis Smith. I was hoping Head On would drop as well, but no such luck. Still an amazing deal.

any comments on Head On?

The sound clips I heard did not thrill me nor was I liking the fact that Bobby Hutcherson, a great composer, wrote very few of the tunes on that album.

But I would like to hear what those who have it say.

Hi:

I haven't made up my mind about this one either. Only listened to it one time. The compositions are written by Tod Cochrane mostly. This has some third stream jazz, especially the first composition, and more fusion jazz ala BB or In a silent way. Some have funk beat to it. The 5th track--1st bonus track-- I don't care for much. There is an obnoxious bass figure repeated ad infinitum. This album may grow on me after repeated listens. Not an essential jazz purchase IMHO.

Here is AllMusic take:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...10:3xfyxqlgldhe

Michael

I think I may have found part of a key to the mystery why CDU has all but Smithville labeled as an IMPORT.

The UPC for Smithville starts out 0946 3 all others are 50999 5. The codes don't mean much to me though I was under the impression that the beginning numbers identified the manufacturer in some way.

Great music by the way. First time hearing all of these for me.