First Mosaic Select Is Running Low!

I guess I'll order that and the Carmell Jones, then... finally! (I have most of the Moncur on the Jackie Mac and the Conn CD, only missing "Evolution", but I hope the printing error - wrong mark from #1 to #2 - on "One Step Beyond" isn't repeated on the Select...)

I guess I'll order that and the Carmell Jones, then... finally! (I have most of the Moncur on the Jackie Mac and the Conn CD, only missing "Evolution", but I hope the printing error - wrong mark from #1 to #2 - on "One Step Beyond" isn't repeated on the Select...)

It's not...and the alternate is at the beginning of the second disc (if I'm remembering correctly).

Looking at the email from Mosaic and wondering what the hell a "SELET" is? :blink:

I just sent in an order for the Moncur and Carmell Jones Selects... wanted the Jones ever since it came out, and the Moncur to me will also be a first with regard to "Evolution" (in addition to "Hipnosis"), and that's an album I've wanted to hear for a loooooooooooooooooong time, so I'll be quite happy with this Select as well!

I wonder, will these sell out more or less chronogically (hell yeah, selets sell out chronogically, ask booby or booger, they shall know!)? I have #3 and #4, but after that I only have the Hills and five or six more, and the first one I really wonder if I need it will be #5, the Chambers, as I have all the music, though the Jazz West quartet with Trane and the pianoless shorter session with more horns only on that brown BN double LP set...

Prior to purchasing this box a few years ago, I didn't have any of this music--so it was all completely new to me. Like so many other Mosaic sets, taking a chance opened up a new doorway. In this case to the 'freebop' Blue Note material (Dolphy, Rivers, Hill etc.) that I've subsequently purchased and now absolutely cherish.

Great set! If I could change anything on it, I would've combined the 'Bout Soul tracks on the same disc as Some Other Stuff, leaving the Hipnosis tracks with Evolution. The feel of those sessions complement each other well and feel out of place on their current discs. That and the fact that 'Bout Soul is noise to my ears and Some Other Stuff puts me to sleep every time I hear it. ;)

Great set! If I could change anything on it, I would've combined the 'Bout Soul tracks on the same disc as Some Other Stuff, leaving the Hipnosis tracks with Evolution. The feel of those sessions complement each other well and feel out of place on their current discs. That and the fact that 'Bout Soul is noise to my ears and Some Other Stuff puts me to sleep every time I hear it. ;)

Good idea. 'Bout Soul is the curate's egg.....for me, I avoid it.

• 6 months later...