Bethlehem Porgy and Bess

gmonahan

Wow...

That should set the cause of getting past White Guilt back several millennia.

Or more.

Just as I always envisioned it -- a narcissistic/masochistic heterosexual singing to a lesbian.

You mean EVERYBODY doesn't envision it that way?! Damn! There's another of my illusions shot to hell!

Though, come to think of it, it may be a *little* unfair to refer to Mel as a lesbian.

Greg M.

:lol:

Torme suits the role of Porgy in at least one way: he's lame.

Is it my imagination, or was there just a touch of sarcasm in the way Steve Allen said "But you've never heard it sung this way" ?

Wow...

That should set the cause of getting past White Guilt back several millennia.

Or more.

Just as I always envisioned it -- a narcissistic/masochistic heterosexual singing to a lesbian.

You mean EVERYBODY doesn't envision it that way?! Damn! There's another of my illusions shot to hell!

Though, come to think of it, it may be a *little* unfair to refer to Mel as a lesbian.

Greg M.

:lol:

Torme suits the role of Porgy in at least one way: he's lame.

Is it my imagination, or was there just a touch of sarcasm in the way Steve Allen said "But you've never heard it sung this way" ?

That's possible. Allen was very bright and a fine jazz connoisseur, but it's also possible he was just trying to be complimentary. Despite my wise-ass remark (I couldn't resist!), I've always liked Mel's singing. I just think he was *really* "miscast" as Porgy!! As for Frances Faye. Whoa. Twilight Zone time!

Greg M.