Don Pullen

Late

Listened to Evidence of Things Unseen yesterday. I'd forgotten what a massive and moving record this is. The thought stuck in my mind that Pullen's playing sounds like some hybrid of Cecil Taylor and Jaki Byard, while still somehow being "original." What's your impression of Pullen's solo work? And doesn't it seem that when the roll call of "great" pianists is offered up (from fans, reviewers, etc.), that Pullen is somewhat marginalized? I think he's truly one of the greats.

I really enjoy Don's Solo Piano Record on Sackville. A small portion of it is very challenging and quite difficult listening from this listener's perspective, but most of the music is very melodic, rhythmically strong, and often quite beautiful. At least on this recording Don seems to know when to pull the "out" sections in again. Very satisfying for the most part.

edited for spelling

Edited by John Tapscott

Guest Bill Barton

Thanks for those photos, Chris!

Pullen is by far one of my all time favorites, both on piano and on organ (is that why this thread is in the "Hammond Zone"?)

I thoroughly agree that the Sackville recording is superb. The Horo albums are also major statements.

When it comes to his organ playing, the David Murray Shakill's Warrior disc kicks some serious booty. And then there are the collaborations with Kip Hanrahan... I love the credit on All Roads Are Made Of The Flesh: "Don Pullen - something taking the place of a real organ."

The sheer scope of his recordings is remarkable. Capricorn Rising with Sam Rivers is another one of my personal favorites. When you start adding in all of the Pullen-Adams group discs and the brilliant Charles Mingus albums, it's truly an impressive body of recorded work.

I heard him in performance with Mingus back around 1975 and that show remains at the number one spot on my list of best shows I've seen after 33 years.

Thanks for those photos, Chris!

Pullen is by far one of my all time favorites, both on piano and on organ (is that why this thread is in the "Hammond Zone"?)

I thoroughly agree that the Sackville recording is superb. The Horo albums are also major statements.

When it comes to his organ playing, the David Murray Shakill's Warrior disc kicks some serious booty. And then there are the collaborations with Kip Hanrahan... I love the credit on All Roads Are Made Of The Flesh: "Don Pullen - something taking the place of a real organ."

The sheer scope of his recordings is remarkable. Capricorn Rising with Sam Rivers is another one of my personal favorites. When you start adding in all of the Pullen-Adams group discs and the brilliant Charles Mingus albums, it's truly an impressive body of recorded work.

I heard him in performance with Mingus back around 1975 and that show remains at the number one spot on my list of best shows I've seen after 33 years.

If you want to see Pullen kick ass on the organ, I highly recommend the John Scofield DVD issued by Blue Note, titled "Live 3 Ways", recorded around 1990. Pullen is present on the opening two tracks in a trio setting with Scofield and Marvin "Smitty" Smith. The tracks are wonderful and you can really see how much Scofield appreciates Pullen's comping and soloing. The tracks are "Bolivar Blues" (6:27) and "Charlie Chan" (5:58). (Incidentally the remaining "2 Ways" on the DVD include two tracks of a duet between JS and Dr. John, and 5 tracks of a quartet that includes JS, Joe Lovano, Anthony Cox and John Reilly). Worth picking up.

Guest youmustbe

I used to book Don on some gigs,... in retrospect, one of the 'near greats'.....but on B-3, he didn't have 'IT'...that elusive 'IT' that not only Jimmy, but Larry, Doug Carn, Ruben etc, had...the 'IT".

But yeah, I miss Don not being on the scene.

• 1 month later...

A creep returns.

Look who's talking!

Well, some of us don't exactly embrace bigoted, foul-mouthed posters, but you're not some of us, are you "bb"? BTW, I wonder if homophobe ymb knows that Don Pullen was gay. :)

You're right. Some of us don't embrace biogoted posters - such as YOURSELF. Incidentally, I guess you chickened out on our debate about the power of Jews and anti-Semitism. You never did respond, even after having been reminded more than once. You are very articulate and knowledgable about jazz, but when it comes to understanding Jews, bigotry, and racism, you have a lot to learn my friend. I think you should apologize to every Jewish person on this board in regard to your comments about Hitler being a Jew, Jews being responsible for the Iraq War, that Jews don't see the King David Hotel attack as terrorism, etc., etc., etc. You are a crazy old man. Now go crawl back into your hole.

Edited by blind-blake

In Fred Wesley's autobiography, "Hit Me Fred", he describes an odd situation in which some of the James Brown band alumni were going on tour in a soul/jazz group, with Don Pullen as their organist. Pullen was so upset at the type of organ he would have to play that he quit before the tour started, leaving bad vibes all around, according to Fred.

I always liked Don's piano playing the best. Live, I liked how he integrated the back of his hands into his playing.

I enjoyed his turn on Marian McPartland's "Piano Jazz" radio show. He was able to fit in well with Marian without watering down his approach.

(snip)

I enjoyed his turn on Marian McPartland's "Piano Jazz" radio show. He was able to fit in well with Marian without watering down his approach.

Anybody have a copy of that broadcast? Would love to have it.

I remember that Marian played a solo for Don of Duke Ellington's "The Clothed Woman", and he expressed surprise when she was done, saying that he had never heard the song but would have to investigate it further.

• 2 months later...

I have been on a Pullen kick the past couple of days since reading a well done "Ode" to Pullen at AAJ. I pulled out my CDR burns of the sadly OOP Horo and Palcoscenico LPs and this morning my drive time listening was the Adams-Pullen quartet recording, City Gates. By coincidene a couple of weeks ago I borrowed the Sackville solo recording from the public library and enjoyed it significantly. I have also spent a considerable amount of time at this informative Don Pullen website - http://www.donpullen.de/index.htm.

Now as I really get into my deeper investigation of Pullen I am trying to determine which holes in my collection to fill. Time to spend some money.

I have been on a Pullen kick the past couple of days since reading a well done "Ode" to Pullen at AAJ. I pulled out my CDR burns of the sadly OOP Horo and Palcoscenico LPs and this morning my drive time listening was the Adams-Pullen quartet recording, City Gates. By coincidene a couple of weeks ago I borrowed the Sackville solo recording from the public library and enjoyed it significantly. I have also spent a considerable amount of time at this informative Don Pullen website - http://www.donpullen.de/index.htm.

Now as I really get into my deeper investigation of Pullen I am trying to determine which holes in my collection to fill. Time to spend some money.

Click on the Live link on the Pullen website and there's a mouthwatering listing of unreleased Mingus concert recordings with Pullen.

Click on the Live link on the Pullen website and there's a mouthwatering listing of unreleased Mingus concert recordings with Pullen.

Unreleased maybe, but not all unavailable. ;)

Unreleased maybe, but not all unavailable. ;)

In deed. I have most of them in my collection.

• 15 years later...