Jimmy Giuffre, R.I.P.

EKE BBB

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...didn't know he went to North Texas State University. That's where I went....

Me too — and I think it was actually called North Texas State Teacher's College when Giuffre was there. My first year there (I was only there two years) was the year it became the "University of North Texas." Before that it was more famously North Texas State University. Julius Hemphill went to North Texas, and Rudresh Mahanthappa spent two years there (we were in the same dorm) before transferring to Berklee.

EKE BBB — that CD with Barre Phillips and Don Friedman is nice. Guy (brownie) gifted me that disc!

Giuffre's spirit will live on through his music without question. I like that he was probably the only saxophonist to use a clarinetist's embouchre when playing the tenor and baritone — hence his somewhat unusual handle on those horns.

A true original.

Sad to hear this - I've been away at the weekend. Heard about Humph but not JG.

I've been listening to quite a bit of his music in the last couple of months. In some ways a bit of a pioneer for the approach to jazz that is covered by labels like ECM or ACT.

I saw him once in an upstairs pub room with basist Ron Mathewson - a memorable gig.

Bird was a "windy loudmouth"???

Yes, Jimmy's style was very different from Bird's, but there's no need for such sour grapes. Ludicrous.

I think there was no small amount of tongue-in-cheekness involved.

It is sad that more people around here don't get that.

I'm starting to reconcile Chuck and Clem here a bit more these days...

Bird was a "windy loudmouth"???

Yes, Jimmy's style was very different from Bird's, but there's no need for such sour grapes. Ludicrous.

I think there was no small amount of tongue-in-cheekness involved.

It is sad that more people around here don't get that.

I'm starting to reconcile Chuck and Clem here a bit more these days...

Hope that last sentence was tongue in cheek.