Andrew Hill - Passing Ships

jmjk

Oddly, one of the tracks sounds very familiar - can't remember which one - have any of these been recorded before.

Do you have One For One?

Haven't yet had the time to cross-check, but there's is a track among the three sextet sides with Tolliver, Patrick a,d Maupin that is also on Passing Ships. Wonder why the titles are different.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Cascade" is the EXACT SAME TUNE as the last tune on SIDE 1 of the 2nd LP of "One For One".  I can't tell what the name of the tune is - in it's version from "One For One" (or at least I can't be 100% sure of the name), but the line-up is:  Andrew Hill p, Charles Tolliver tp, Pat Patrick as/fl/bs, Bennie Maupin fl/ts/bass cl, Ron Carter b, Ben Riley d (recorded in January of 1970 -- which is after the sessions for "Passing Ships").

Listened to the "One for One" version of "Cascade" again today a couple times (still don't know for sure what it's called on "One for One" - see my post a couple above this one, for a full report).

The interesting thing that struck me about both versions, is how the "Passing Ships" version sounds (more than any other tune from that session) like a 19-piece band. Very full sound, much greater than a 9-piece band.

And the verison from "One for One" also sounds like a larger group than it really is. There's only a three-horn front-line on the "One for One" version, but it easily sounds like more horns than that (maybe 6 or 8?? - or at least 4 or 5).

Very interesting.

I would think that somebody else here has the 2nd LP of "One for One" handy, or at least a burn of it. If so, would someone (who has both "Passing Ships" and the "One for One" LP's) please lemme know what the name of the tune is, if you wouldn't mind?? - and I'd really appreciate any other observations anyone would have about the two different verisons of what are (in fact) really the same tune!!! B)

Oh, there it is - didn't take the time to read through the whole thread, didn't make too much sense except for mouth watering as long as I didn't have the CD ...

Yes, the writing makes both ensembles sound much larger!

I'd like to have all of these sextet sessions!!!

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

I just purchased this recording after receiving a recent email from True Blue Music that it has moved to "Last Chance". I don't know how many copies they have available? But if you've been sitting on the fence, now is the time to move and purchase this terrific date at an affordable price.(14.98) Amazon has new copies available for $45!

Edited by Tom 1960

I just purchased this recording after receiving a recent email from True Blue Music that it has moved to "Last Chance". I don't know how many copies they have available? But if you've been sitting on the fence, now is the time to move and purchase this terrific date at an affordable price.(14.98) Amazon has new copies available for $45!

Agree Tom. Unfortunately, a slew of Hill titles are seeing the ax, including favorites like Dance with Death, Andrew!!! and Pax.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree Tom. Unfortunately, a slew of Hill titles are seeing the ax, including favorites like Dance with Death, Andrew!!! and Pax.

Yes "Passing Ships" is fantastic, maybe the one you should give to Hill newbies instead of "Point of Departure"??? It is sad that they are axing a lot of his titles but at least they got to re-issue it while he was alive. Makes me think I should hold on to my Hill big Mosaic.

Makes me think I should hold on to my Hill big Mosaic.

I would !

Yea, I just might even though it dosn't get played an awful lot, however I can't see any of it coming out again until the bootleggers get a hold it... BTW the RVG of "Smokestack" has just gone into Discontinued Titles/Last Chance according to the latest e-mail from True Blue, was it on it before?

• 11 years later...

I'm not a Facebook user but is it a discussion about how they were set to release it on LP and BN stepped in to do the job with the Tone Poet? 

I'm only guessing but elsewhere on the board someone mentioned a UK label was set to reissue it on LP and I thought it could be Wallen Bink.

24 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I'm not a Facebook user but is it a discussion about how they were set to release it on LP and BN stepped in to do the job with the Tone Poet? 

I'm only guessing but elsewhere on the board someone mentioned a UK label was set to reissue it on LP and I thought it could be Wallen Bink.

Yes, that is correct.  Not a fluent FB user myself, tried to copy/paste the text here with no luck.  Some interesting details I can share later if interested.  

• 2 months later...