Bud Powell, "The Scene Changes" RVG

Shrdlu

The recent RVG of this is now to hand (and, to ear!), and I must say that I'm very pleased with the sound.

This music is an old friend, and it was good to have an excuse to play it again.

In the living room, on the speakers, it sounded so clear that I almost felt that Bud, Paul and Art were right there with me, or that I was in a chair in Rudy's living room during the session. I could even picture Rudy, Al and Frank sitting opposite me, Rudy perched behind his tape decks and Al with his owl-like glasses looking across the room. Oh, Frank's flash just blinded me temporarily!

There is still absolutely no tape hiss or dropout, and the music is so realistic. I can almost see Art's drum skins during the solos.

Someone once said that Rudy remasters Powell sessions extra well. I'm not sure about that, but he certainly did a fine job with all the Powell reissues.

As for the music on this album, it tends to have the same kind of feel throughout, but that is not a fault, as it's all so good.

Just about all BN albums are excellent, but here we have one of the few real giants of the music that they ever recorded. Bud is just on a different plane than nearly every other BN artist. This is something very special. Paul Chambers gets drawn in by the special nature of this occasion, and plays at his most exciting. There are several moments on this album that just grip me, and really hold my attention.

Definitely one to get!

This latest RVG was my first experience with this Powell session. I've loved the other three discs, but this one left me a bit cold. Not as much variety in the tunes as the other ones, and my favorite tune - "Comin' Up" - goes on way too long. But yes, it sounds very good.

This album, along with TIME WAITS are the remaining gaps in my Powell BN collection. I'm sure the latter is also prime stuff. Perhaps I'll make it a double shot of Bud the next time I'm at a local record shop. Thanks for the rec., Shrdlu, AB, etc.

Edited by pryan

Yeah, this one retailer up here has been selling the most recent RVG's for $10.79 CDN, which is a good deal less in American dollars. I've snapped up a handful, perhaps five, from the August and September batches.

Sounds like a great deal!

The local Tower records has it on sale. I hope they don't mind if I pay in quarters. :P

This was the first of the latest batch of RVGs I grabbed, and completes my Blue Note Powell in great sound replacement plan (all the RVGs, and a Superbit TOCJ by McMaster.)

I've had this session on vinly, and two other cd versions. . . it's an odd session. As noted, not much variety in composition, and the compositions are . . . well . . .ODD. I've grown to really like it but I remember when I first got it and went. . . "Damn, this is some strange writing!" Very Powell in the way that Monk cds are always very Monk, but Powell cds are not always this very Powell! (Does that make sense?)

The RVG sounds GREAT!

Thanks for starting this thread, Shrdlu!

I picked this up tonight and it sounds great. I hadn't heard this album in ages.

I've been kind of burnt out on jazz lately, but listening to this while driving home tonight reminded me why I became a jazz fan in the first place. I agree with Jazzbo, that this is a very Powell album. I really like the songs.

:g

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got around to listening to this and, while the sound is very good, the music blows me away. Cleopatra's Dream is one of the more interesting melodies I've heard in a while and what he does with the improvisiations is just amazing to me. In similar vain is Duid Deed. One of the more unusual compositions is Comin Up. The way he sets it up with AT starting out and then Bud and Chambers adding layers, I found fascinating. And AT's work on this one piece is what makes the piece. Also, AT's work really drives Bud. This is my favorite out of this batch of RVGs. It's really a remarkable album.

All joking aside, it would be nice if it did come back, and with a composition that did not scratch. I would particularly like this if they also used the sound balance that is on the old LPs. It's usually better than on the corresponding CDs.

One thing I really like is Musicmatch, which transfers LPs to CDrs with the same sound spread as on the LPs and no loss of sound quality (that I can detect). So, if'n you can find a used LP which is not badly scratched, you're all set.

I also picked this one up recently and concur with Brad and AB's statements. There seems to be a kind of continuity with this album in that all the tunes are kind of "connected" with one another. It's also interesting in that, for the most part, Bud is the only soloist, and his solos are constructed in such a way that they develop slowly but surely, building not necessarily to a "climax", but still building nonetheless on certain motifs or ideas that occurred earlier on in the solo. And when someone else solos (eg. P.C.), Bud's support/comp/prodding/leading is most unusual, but effective. A most interesting and compelling album.

If it's a clean LP you'te usually in good shape. I certainly don't hesitate to burn off my favorite LPs; be it either for convenience, to give to others or to keep me from wearing them down. Sometimes I listen to....say....my Blues-ette LP several times in a row and, from a conservation standpoint, there's nothing good about that.

• 1 year later...