Larry Young "Mother Ship"

BeBop

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I first heard "Mother Ship" about two years ago, and instantly loved it. Some of the most progressive playing in Lee Morgan's entire career (IMHO). Eddie Gladden has some amazing "Dejohnette-circa-1969"-like fills going on, and Herbert Morgan was a very interesting player (in much the same vein as Tyrone Washington).

4 and 1/2 stars in my book.

I like this, as I like all those albums on the Larry Young Mosaic, but I can certainly see why some listeners such as Dan DON'T. Different than many another Morgan date!

I'm going to have to dig this out and listen to it again! I remember (now unfortunately the late) Eddie Gladden doing a good job here!

I also have the Mosaic set on vinyl. I enjoyed this date, but not as much as Young's earlier Blue Notes up to and including Unity. However, I think I enjoyed this one the most out of everything that followed Unity. I actually enjoyed hearing Morgan playing in a setting that required him to push the edges a little as opposed to another attempt to recreate the success of "The Sidewinder". It is also not that out of character for Lee Morgan at this time because even on his own recordings that included Billy Harper he was moving beyond the classic hard bop sound.

Edited by relyles

I think this is a wonderful date. I know Dan is a big organ fan, but I don't think "Mothership" would be included in his tastes. A little too far-reaching, which I could totally understand. Not sure how he feels about Young's earlier Blue Note stuff. That said, for those that like his outings such as "Heaven and Earth,... "Mothership" is a terriffic date and takes jazz organ as far as it can go, realistically, without turning into something else imho. One man's big disappointment is another man's treasure.

I highly recommend it.

Edited by Soul Stream

Can anyone comment on how the sound on the new Conn compares with that on the Mosaic please ?

(Hearing about all these fantastic new Conns is getting unbearable for us Euro-dwellers, who have to wait a while before getting our mits on them, especially with all of the rave reviews I'm seeing for 'Passing Ships' :rmad: )

I think this is a wonderful date. I know Dan is a big organ fan, but I don't think "Mothership" would be included in his tastes. A little too far-reaching, which I could totally understand. Not sure how he feels about Young's earlier Blue Note stuff.

Only the dates led by Grant Green get any regular play.

So, clearly, I am the atypical Blue Note fan to be offering opinions on Young's work!

Picked this up today. The recording, although I haven't A/B'd to the Mosaic, seems a big improvement. This session is BAAAADDDD. Even "Street Scene" adds a touch of soul-jazz for those who might need a taste. This is a big improvement for me over some of the other more "out" stuff Larry did on "Contrasts," ect. The quartet thing really makes it happen for Young and he, and everyone else, excels.

For me, this is about as good as "OUT" organ playing ever got without losing the groove. Larry is at the height of his powers here. And the rest of the band is about as bad as they come. Menacing. Beautiful. All at the same time.

5 Stars.

It's great to see this one out for people who don't have the Mosaic. I do, and this was my favorite of the post- Unity sessions. It's a bit out - but not like Of Love and Peace - which to me is far too often a cacophony.

Let's try to get Contrasts out next! :)

Wow! I really, really, like this session. It's not so out that is doesn't make any sense, it does have a nice feel to it. Herbert Morgan is a surprise, I've never heard him before and he's very good. Lee Morgan, of course is outstanding, I especially like what he does on "Visions", good ideas just flowing. Youg is playing so creatively on this cd; he supporting each player in an unique manner, and soloing on fire. Highly recommended. B)

Notice: This is a rant against Blue Note

Excuse the back to back post but I want to make one comment about Blue Note in general and Mike Cuscuna: How many times over the years has a session been held back from release because the "powers that be" tell us it sounds like crap. Then, after years of pleading, it comes out on cd and it sound great! I mean, what the heck is that all about. We have two prime examples in front of us. For the Hill cd, Cuscuna actually spoke of it in a slighting manner in the Hill Mosaic booklet, basicly saying it was unlistenable. "Mother Ship" is another one that was supposed to be junk, and it's great. Memo to Blue Note: If you don't want to rerelease something just let it go at that, don't be dumping on the artosts by giving hints it's worthless music. :angry:

End of rant

For the Hill cd, Cuscuna actually spoke of it in a slighting manner in the Hill Mosaic booklet, basicly saying it was unlistenable.

The stereo mix-down tape of the Hill session (Passing Ships) did sound like crap, but the original (milti-track?) masters turned out to be OK. The error was in assuming that the stereo mix-down tape was totally representive of the session, which it wasn't.

Given the hundereds and hundereds of of tapes in the vaults (including masters and mix-downs of masters), I'm not surprised that something like this Hill date slipped thought the cracks. Shit happens. Thankfully something like this hasn't happened very often. But it does happen, now and then.

And Mother Ship isn't just coming out now for the very first time -- it's been out for at least 20 years now (or is it closer to 25??). At the time when Mother Ship first came out on LP, there were still dozens and dozens of sessions that hadn't yet been released. It was just one of those sessions.

I think Blue Note's done a pretty good job, all in all, in getting previously unreleased material finally released. (Now if we can only get that unreleased Tyrone Washington session with Herbie and Jack Dejohnette released someday!!!!)

I find it exciting that unissued sessions are still being located today. Heightens our feelings of discovery. I would feel miserable, I think, if I knew that I had everything that Blue Note recorded. There's always got to be something left behind; something still to look forward to.

So far this session is my favorite of the Conns. Still going through them however, and I only heard "Mothership" once. Can't wait to get back to it!

It seems like Ron McMaster ate his Wheaties before remastering this one. Mother Ship sounds a lot better here than on the Mosaic. Eddie Gladden is still a little too far back in the mix for my taste, but this may be in the original recording. I think that Herbert Morgan's horn benefits most from this new remastering, adding some depth to his sound, and I'm all the happier for it. A solid tenor player.

The album itself — five of these: :wub: . Great to have it out as a single disc. In fact, my expression is near that of Larry's (on the cover) as I play it.

Regarding Matthew's "rant", we should not bite the hand that figuratively feeds us :D and secondly we should give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure that many of us have listened to something at some point and called it garbage and when relistening to it later, said "hey's that pretty good stuff. What was I thinking?" I'm sure Michael's no different.

I like this, as I like all those albums on the Larry Young Mosaic, but I can certainly see why some listeners such as Dan DON'T. Different than many another Morgan date!

I'm going to have to dig this out and listen to it again! I remember (now unfortunately the late) Eddie Gladden doing a good job here!

Absolutely right. Gladden really goes at it full-steam-ahead on this one and (understand I haven't heard much of the later BN Larry Young, so this could be par for the course but) I've never heard a B-3 played like Cecil Taylor before. Those solos are wild. I never really caught up with the LT series titles so this RVG was a new one for me. It's easily my fave of the lot. Those filled-in letters on the cover really bug me, though......

This is the first time I've heard any post-Unity Larry Young, and I absolutely love it! The first tune steals it for me - I feel that the others are somewhat tamer. I don't mean that disparagingly - simply that the shock of the first track was so phenomenal given what one could expect fron an organ group, that I was probably still reeling for the other numbers!

Is there any other Larry Young in print which is like this? There certainly should be!