http://www.jazzhouse.org/2008finalists.html

Note the appearance of LK among the nominees for the Jazz Journalism Lifetime Achievement Award. The nomination only cites his work for the Chicago Tribune, Down Beat and as an author. No mention of his contributions to organissimo.

(By the way, I'm not a member -- just passing along the press release.)

Edited by Mark Stryker

I agree, Chuck, knowing full well that I will never named for anything, because I have been quite critical of Mandel and others in this bunch. Will they give Crouch the vote? He, of course, was more than critical of Mandel. :)

Like all such award entities, this one is severely skewed by considerations that bear little or no relation to the subject at hand. If a Grammy becomes a dust-collecting, lusterless knickknack before you can say "leonard feather," imagine the shelf-life of this thing.

I am mystified at the votes for Stanley Crouch, especially given his boorish behavior during the two awards shows to which he was invited, even though he has never been a JJA member.

I still remember laughing hard after Francis Davis' comments about Crouch's self-indulgent drum solo and comedian Al Lewis' remark ("I remember Big Sid Catlett, now there was a real drummer!"). I wondered if Crouch thought about taking a swing at either one of them...

Guest Bill Barton

I am mystified at the votes for Stanley Crouch, especially given his boorish behavior during the two awards shows to which he was invited, even though he has never been a JJA member.

I still remember laughing hard after Francis Davis' comments about Crouch's self-indulgent drum solo and comedian Al Lewis' remark ("I remember Big Sid Catlett, now there was a real drummer!"). I wondered if Crouch thought about taking a swing at either one of them...

Ah, the perennial question: "Is the Grouch a better drummer than he is a writer or vice versa or none of the above?" If he had taken a swing at either Davis or Lewis I'd bet that it wouldn't have landed in rhythm and it sure as hell wouldn't have "swung."