Iron Man

Saw Iron Man today.

Go to admit that it was very good. Kept you on the edge of your seat or laid back laughing, great combination.

I don't think they utilized Terence Howard's talents very well though. To me he just did not pull it off as a senior officer in the military.

Don't know what was so great about sitting through all the credits just to see Sammy Jackson drop a 5 second hint about the Avengers. That was torture!

:unsure:

Saw Iron Man today.

Go to admit that it was very good. Kept you on the edge of your seat or laid back laughing, great combination.

I don't think they utilized Terence Howard's talents very well though. To me he just did not pull it off as a senior officer in the military.

Don't know what was so great about sitting through all the credits just to see Sammy Jackson drop a 5 second hint about the Avengers. That was torture!

:unsure:

Well, Rhody isn't really JUST a senior officer. He's eventually going to be Iron Man. In the comic book, Rhody took over the Iron Man identity when Stark was derailed by alcoholism (Tony had had the shrapnel removed by that point and was no longer dependant on the suit). The problem is that Stark's armor was designed to interface with his brain, so it began to subtly effect Rhody's personality until he becomes violent and paranoid. Eventually, Tony has to fight Rhody in order to get the armor back (he wears his old armor). In time, Rhody would wear armor that was designed for him as War Machine. As I understand it, the next film will deal with Tony's alcoholism and land Rhody in the suit (foreshadowed by Howard's line, "Next time, baby.").

I actually sat through the film a second time JUST to see the Nick Fury bit (I hadn't known about it the first time)!

Ok, so that is why someone else mentioned earlier about being familiar with the comic book. I knew nothing about Iron Man. However, I did notice Rhody when he mentioned "Next time baby" but I thought there might have been something in this film. So I was wrong again.

I did enjoy the film though.

I still think it was torture to sit through all the credits to get to that tidbit, even for those that were familiar with the comic book storys and plots.

I still think it was torture to sit through all the credits to get to that tidbit, even for those that were familiar with the comic book storys and plots.

I've also heard that one should stay for a little bit of interesting footage at the very end of the credits.

Yes indeed. But with the caveat that unless you know some of the ins and outs of Marvel Comics you might not even "get" this little bonus scene. And there's a damn long list of credits to get through.

Told ya! :lol:

Hm, just thought I'd ask if this one was suitable for the 10-yr-old here. The NY Times review mentions a scene of (clothes-on) sex, but the IMDB's "Parental Advisory" page has "None" under "Sex & Nudity". (Well, I suppose she's approaching the age where the birds & bees talk becomes inevitable, but I don't think I want a superhero blockbuster film to be the flashpoint for it....) Anyway, would like to see this one myself, & ideally take the little one too.

Hm, just thought I'd ask if this one was suitable for the 10-yr-old here. The NY Times review mentions a scene of (clothes-on) sex, but the IMDB's "Parental Advisory" page has "None" under "Sex & Nudity". (Well, I suppose she's approaching the age where the birds & bees talk becomes inevitable, but I don't think I want a superhero blockbuster film to be the flashpoint for it....) Anyway, would like to see this one myself, & ideally take the little one too.

took my 8 and 10 year old boys to see the film. no problem and they loved it!

I took my eight-year-old daughter (who has also seen all three "Lord of the Rings" films, all three "Spider-Man" films, all three "Pirates of the Caribbean" films (her current obsession. She has declared that she wants to captain a Clipper Ship when she grows up) and the Indiana Jones films) and she absolutely LOVED it. The scene in question shows Tony Stark in a (very brief) clinch with a female reporter early in the film. They kiss passionately and then fall off of the bed. The next morning, the reporter is shown alone in bed (she is naked, but is laying on her stomach and strategically covered by a sheet). I don't think it's any worse than what you'd see in a sixties Bond film.

I took my eight-year-old daughter (who has also seen all three "Lord of the Rings" films, all three "Spider-Man" films, all three "Pirates of the Caribbean" films (her current obsession. She has declared that she wants to captain a Clipper Ship when she grows up) and the Indiana Jones films) and she absolutely LOVED it. The scene in question shows Tony Stark in a (very brief) clinch with a female reporter early in the film. They kiss passionately and then fall off of the bed. The next morning, the reporter is shown alone in bed (she is naked, but is laying on her stomach and strategically covered by a sheet). I don't think it's any worse than what you'd see in a sixties Bond film.

take your 8 year old to see nim's island - she will love it!

Oh, that's it? Fine. I don't care about mushiness, mere nudity or general steaminess; I just don't want anything actively coital to deal with.

The strategically-covered-by-a-sheet strategy in Hollywood films drives me NUTS, it's so phony.

I suppose I should check out the Lord of the Rings films, Spiderman, &c.... not really a big Tolkien fan so I avoided the former at the time they came out, & Anne was too young (4 yrs old when The Fellowship... came out).

Oh, that's it? Fine. I don't care about mushiness, mere nudity or general steaminess; I just don't want anything actively coital to deal with.

The strategically-covered-by-a-sheet strategy in Hollywood films drives me NUTS, it's so phony.

I suppose I should check out the Lord of the Rings films, Spiderman, &c.... not really a big Tolkien fan so I avoided the former at the time they came out, & Anne was too young (4 yrs old when The Fellowship... came out).

The first two Spiderman films are quite good; if anything, the second is better than the first.

Heck, I think the third is as good as any of the first two.

I certainly enjoyed the third film, but it was front-loaded with villians (the New Goblin, Sandman AND the alien costume/Venom). I was a little disappointed that they felt the need to end the Harry Osborn storyline in such a hurry. Each one of those villians could have had a whole movie to himself!

The "too-many-villians" approach is one of the (many) things that marred the Batman movies of the late 80s and early 90s (besides Joel Schumaker in general). The first Batman film just had the Joker, but the second Burton Batman film felt the need to include BOTH Catwoman AND the Penguin. And when Schumaker took over, things got really ridiculous. The third film gave us the Riddler AND Two Face AND Robin AND a new love interest in the form of Nicole Kidman. The fourth film gave us Mr. Freeze AND Poison Ivy AND Bane AND Batgirl, plus Alfred gets sick...is there any time for Batman to actually...you know...appear the films the bear his name? That's what I LOVED about "Batman Begins." The movie was ABOUT the Batman, not about Ra's Al-Ghul or the Scarecrow or any other characters. "Spider-Man 3" never got as bad as the 90s Batman films (you never lost sight of Peter as the main character) but it was nearly as crowded as one of those films.

Since Curt Connors has appeared or been mentioned in each of the three movies, I think it's time the Lizard makes an appearence!

take your 8 year old to see nim's island - she will love it!

I think my wife took her to see that. She did enjoy it (they both did, actually).