Iron Man

I'm probably going to go this week and was wondering if anyone has seen it yet. Comments?

Also curious to see the new Hulk & Batman movies.

Still hoping for a Justice League movie, I think with the advances in special effects they could do a pretty good job- I'd like to see Green Lantern, Hawkman, Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter, Metamorpho and others who haven't been portrayed yet.

I am a sucker for these comic book movies.

Still hoping for a Justice League movie, I think with the advances in special effects they could do a pretty good job- I'd like to see Green Lantern, Hawkman, Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter, Metamorpho and others who haven't been portrayed yet.

Do yourself a favor and buy/rent the Justice League Unlimited animated series. Possibly the best depiction of superheroes I've ever seen on screen.

I've also heard that one should stay for a little bit of interesting footage at the very end of the credits.

Yes indeed. But with the caveat that unless you know some of the ins and outs of Marvel Comics you might not even "get" this little bonus scene. And there's a damn long list of credits to get through.

I'm not a big fan of comic book films...but this one was AWESOME! I went and saw it yesterday and was very impressed. Downey Jr. fits this role like a glove and he really makes the movie come to life. Paltrow doesn't have much screen time but her scenes are expertly handled and the romantic tension feels completely real, very natural and unforced. In fact most of the actors underplay the roles which make them more realistic. It's effortlessly funny without trying to be, never crossing the line into Camp territory but still has some laugh out loud segments. The film is very much centered on the character and not the special effects, bringing Spiderman & Batman Begins to mind. I find the movie to be superior to the Spiderman films...not quite as good as Batman Begins but it's not nearly as dark in tone as that one.

3 1/2 stars (out of 4).

:tup

I loved it. A note perfect adaptation of the comic book. Absolutely nothing was sacrificed. The film has stellar peformances from Downey, Paltrow, Howard, and Bridges. Their peformances elevated what in lesser hands would be pretty formulaic material, this proving that it ain't what you do, it's the way you do it.

The director, Jon Favreau, deserves some credit also.

Agreed. I didn't recognize the name until I looked him up on IMDB and realized I know him more as an actor than a director. I had no idea he was the guy in Swingers...and also the director/star of Made. He's a funny guy, it's no wonder the comedic elements of the film work so well.

Trivia: His original choice for the Pepper character was Rachel McAdams (The Notebook, Red Eye), but she turned down the role. Paltrow was the backup plan...but in view of her performance she was by far the better choice. Plus she's not hard to look at...

Gwyneth-Paltrow.jpg

:wub:

Just got back from seeing it. I thought it was great! Lots of fun, but not without a solid storyline. Director Jon Favreau had a small part as Tony Stark's driver.

Some intriguing hints of things to come too!

Batman preview looked good too (as did the Indiana Jones). Looks like a good summer for movies!

Just got back from seeing it. I thought it was great! Lots of fun, but not without a solid storyline. Director Jon Favreau had a small part as Tony Stark's driver.

Some intriguing hints of things to come too!

Batman preview looked good too (as did the Indiana Jones). Looks like a good summer for movies!

I'll try and watch it this week. I'm a sucker for superhero movies.

Not a big fan of action/fantasy/superhero films, but we have been out of town and wanted something brainless to watch on Saturday.

It was fairly entertaining. Not quite as different as I was hoping it might be, but Downey was an inspired choice for the lead role and Jeff Bridges is never bad - Paltrow good, too.

I liked the Tony Stark character. A very brash, American James Bond with unlimited finances; RDJ did a great job of delivering the snappy dialog. The scenes where he was warning the robot in the lab were great; he sounded like he was talking to a large happy dog with muddy feet.

I heard that Tony Stark (RDJ) makes an appearence in the new Hulk movie. Sounds like Marvel is building its own little cinematic universe. Avengers Assemble!

I liked the Tony Stark character. A very brash, American James Bond with unlimited finances; RDJ did a great job of delivering the snappy dialog. The scenes where he was warning the robot in the lab were great; he sounded like he was talking to a large happy dog with muddy feet.

I heard that Tony Stark (RDJ) makes an appearence in the new Hulk movie. Sounds like Marvel is building its own little cinematic universe. Avengers Assemble!

I've heard that that is exactly what Marvel wants to do: Eventually produce an Avengers movie. We've already got Downey's Iron Man and will soon have Norton's Hulk (the Hulk is a charter member of the Avengers, recall). Edgar Wright ("Shaun of the Dead," "Hot Fuzz") is apparently working on an "Ant Man" movie (which would, one presumes, also feature the winsome Wasp). A Thor movie is also reportedly in the works, as is a Captain America movie (possibly with Matthew McConaughey in the title role). I've also read that they would only go forward with an Avengers movie if they could get the actors who originated the roles to participate (rather than recasting the roles with second stringers).

Marvel announced this on monday...

IRON MAN 2 (scheduled for April 30, 2010 release)

THOR (scheduled for June 4, 2010 release)

THE FIRST AVENGER: CAPTAIN AMERICA (scheduled for May 6, 2011 release)

THE AVENGERS (scheduled for July 2011 release)

ANT-MAN (in development, writer/director engaged)

Can't wait to see what they might do with Thor!

Okay. . .I saw Iron Man today.

It's a great film. I still think the Spidey series trumps it though in terms of making what felt like a sixties Marvel movie to ME. I was most excited by the Ditko run of Spidey and Dr. Strange, and the Kirby run of Thor and FF, those were the comics that really flipped me out when I was a lad. The Ramis movies captured the feel of the Spidey books to me and I have to admit I like the FF movies too for the same reason, only slightly less successful. (I really could have stood a different actor as Ben Grimm, sorry, and as Victor Von Doom).

This Iron Man movie is GREAT but it didn't feel like any Iron Man I've known so it was odd in that way. Now I'm sure it probably is representative of some seventies, eighties, nineties or oughts Iron Man that I have absolutely no familiarity with, and so I don't have that nostalgic connection to the past to make and that removed a level of involvement for me. But it was a great superhero movie, really a blast.

Oh, and I must admit that Gwyneth looked really good as a red head. . . .

iron-man-site-pepper-potts.jpg

:wub:

The scenes between her and Stark had a really nice natural "sizzle" to them, Gwyneth can speak volumes with tiny facial expressions. I haven't seen a better example of unforced sexual tension (tendered with total respect for each other) in a long while.