Jason Moran

Alexander Hawkins

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another Moran lover from the other side of the pond.

He gave some duo (with Osby) and trio concerts recently over here which I heard were fantastic - but I missed him :(

I don't want to lessen his individuality or anything, but I'd say one hears quite well that the late great Jaki Byard was one of his teachers. My immediate impression when first hearing Moran (the "Facing Left" disc) was asking myself whether Jaki was reborn!

"Black Stars" is a treat. (But somehow I always tend to marvel more about the old man on the saxophone - one of the all-time greats and in what shape! - And yes, he plays quite a good piano. Check out his "Solo" disc on FMP to hear him on all his instruments.)

ubu

I think I have nearly everything Moran has released commercially (everything with him as the leader, everything with him on Osby's albums, and most of the rest of his sideman work), and I find Moran to be one of the most exciting jazz pianists today.

He's also one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet. I've talked with him after shows about 4 times, and traded a handfull of e-mails with him.

Without question, get everything with Moran as the leader, and also get Osby's last 4 or 5 releases (everything since and including "Zero", which I think came out in about 1998). They're all top-drawer, at least in my book.

=====

Oh, if you go to Moran's website, there's about one hour's worth of MP3's, all recorded live about 2 years ago - with Moran's regular trio. And Osby's website has about six hours of MP3's, all recorded live since about 1997 or 1998 - and all but one hour is with Moran. All of it is outstanding, IMHO.

I have yet to pick up anything by Moran that I have not enjoyed. I've yet to pick up Modernistic, but I've got all of his dates as a leader plus lots of his sideman appearances. Looking forward to seeing Osby and Moran this Saturday night.

Count me as a Moran fan. I've enjoyed all of his albums as a leader (although "Soundtrack to Human Motion", which has just gone oop, is still my overall favorite). Very original with a refreshingly new sound. Love him as a side-man on Osby's dates too.

I saw him, Osby, and Stefon Harris in Boston a few years ago. Didn't get to talk to Moran, but I did chat with Harris for a few minutes. That whole group of musicians strikes me as very humble, despite the fact that they are among the freshest and most exciting musicians on the scene.

I saw him, Osby, and Stefon Harris in Boston a few years ago.  Didn't get to talk to Moran, but I did chat with Harris for a few minutes.  That whole group of musicians strikes me as very humble, despite the fact that they are among the freshest and most exciting musicians on the scene.

I agree with Alexander. That's a great group of musicians BN's got. I've picked up every cd (except Modernistic) so far by these guys. Two of my favorite pianists are Andrew Hill and Jaki Byard, so I'm a natural Moran fan. Soundtrack to Human Motion is still my favorite Moran cd.

:rsmile:

Edited by AfricaBrass

Just listening to my today's acquisition, Osby's "Banned in New York". Very authentic live music by some great young(er) musicians. And ordered "Soundtrack" and "Modernistic" today, due to this thread... you guys really make me lose my last cent...

By the way, I'm also fond of Moran's contribution to the otherwise rather friendly and not too spectacular meeting of Joe Lovano and Osby on Blue Note (the title escapes me), seem to be Moran and Muhammad who make the difference on that one.

ubu

I think it's called "Friendly Fire", one of the few discs with Moran that I don't own (or at least not yet). Over time, I find I'm growing less and less fond of Lovano, for some reason - so I've put off getting this disc probably for that reason.

Anyone else have "Friendly Fire", and if so, what do you think of it?

( I know I should get it, but I haven't found it used yet - and I think that's what it'd take for me to plunk down any kind of cash for it. )

Friendly Fire is pretty good, with honours pretty evenly spread, not much of a show case for Moran as the horns dominate, but a good session. Isn't it OOP?

I really admire Moran, Modernistic was my 1st choice disc from 2002.

When is the new one out, it sounds as if Moran fans should be prety excited about it given the reviews of the gigs at the Vanguard?

Yep, I think "Friendly Fire" (this is the one I meant, of course) is OOP. I do like Lovano but am not an ardent admirer of him. And yes, Moran is not the main player concerning solo space. But all in all, I think it's sort of a nice encounter - certainly worth picking up at a good price.

ubu

When is the new one out, it sounds as if Moran fans should be prety excited about it given the reviews of the gigs at the Vanguard?

Clunky, is there a link you can post regarding the Vanguard performances? I didn't even know Moran had another disc coming out! I still haven't picked up Modernistic!

I wonder if they will ever post new mp3's to his website. I downloaded all of them last year. The Bandwagon sounds great live!

Jason Moran Trio - The Bandwagon (Blue Note) Aug 19

— with Tarus Mateen and Nasheet Waits

— recorded live at the Village Vanguard, Nov. 2002

When I heard Osby's quartet here in Kansas City a couple months ago, I talked with Jason after the show. He gave me the impression that a trio-version of Afrika Bambaataa's 'Planet Rock' would be on the new live album. I didn't ask him specifically what would be on it, but he said something like "wait till you hear the trio version of 'Planet Rock'!!"

(IMHO) JAMO is one of the most exciting young jazz musicians and composers out there today. I look forward to Jason's new CD's (and Greg Osby's recent releases too) the way I imagine some others did of Miles Davis albums in the 60's. I'm there at the store the day they come out.

In fact, I got 'Black Stars' the night before it came out, by writing a post-dated check for it. Supposedly stores can get in deep trouble for selling releases before their official street date - but it wasn't like anyone gave a shit about a new jazz release slipping out early.

I remember the night I got 'Black Stars' quite well --- I listened to it twice through, before going to bed, and loved it. Then, the next day was Sept. 11th (2001) - and I didn't listen to any music of any sort for about two or three weeks. And even then, for some reason I wasn't in the mood for 'Black Stars' for several weeks more.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I still haven't picked up Modernistic yet, although it's on my list.

And Moran was one of the biggest highlights when I saw the Osby quartet recently.

Same for me at the recent show in Buffalo. I walked out of there extremely impressed.

Have to get Modernistic as well.

Alan - check your PMs

Much as I love Osby's playing (especially all his albums since about 1998-99, or even maybe as early as 1996's "Art Forum"), and I do mean love Obsy's playing - as in I'd drive a couple hours to hear him, any day of the week...

That said, I think Moran is still a bigger draw for me, personally. And the two of them together are unstoppable!!

• 8 months later...

Count me as a Moran fan. I've enjoyed all of his albums as a leader (although "Soundtrack to Human Motion", which has just gone oop, is still my overall favorite). Very original with a refreshingly new sound. Love him as a side-man on Osby's dates too.

I saw him, Osby, and Stefon Harris in Boston a few years ago. Didn't get to talk to Moran, but I did chat with Harris for a few minutes. That whole group of musicians strikes me as very humble, despite the fact that they are among the freshest and most exciting musicians on the scene.

Is it true that "Soundtrack to Human Motion" is OOP? How in the world can Blue Note let that happen?? This is a stone cold modern classic. Sometimes I think Blue Note is ......, well, I just don't know what to think at times. :(

There's a review of Modernistic in "International Piano" magazine (British-based). This magazine typically focuses on classical piano repetoire and pianists. In the current issue, there is, somewhat surprisingly, a really fine article on Bill Evans, and a fine review of Moran's Modernistic. The reviewer really digs the album.

Jason Moran is a young American pianist who has grabbed the tradition of jazz piano by the throat and is running with it in novel and unheralded directions

The reviewer appreciates the way that Moran references earlier tradtions, such as stride and bebop, but

Report on Soundtrack to Human Motion? It's a very nice disc, cooler & more restrained than Moran's later stuff--as much Hancock as Hill in the mix, I think. A reading of a Ravel piece on it, if I remember rightly, but otherwise all originals. The sound is closer to Greg Osby's Blue Notes of the period than to Moran's own conception later on, in part because of the smoother & more conventional rhythm section here. It's very much worth picking up, needless to say.