Best track you heard all week

jazzbo

For me, this week, it's "Eclipse" by Mingus as performed by Dolphy on "Out There."

I've always loved this composition and I remembered listening to this version years ago that I had this idea to start a label called Eclipse and require each of my artists to record that tune on every other release or some such methodology, just to get to hear different interpretations of that.

This version with the clarinet and the cello. . . just beautiful and stimulating.

When Eclipse Records became a success, I was going to start Equinox Records and feature the same methodology using the Coltrane composition. Hey a fella can dream can't he?

Anyway, this Dolphy performance made an impact on me this week. Anyone else want to share a track that socked them?

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great thread idea!

The track that jumped out at me in the past couple days:

Twinklin' by Mary Lou Williams w/Andy Kirk. Mary's touch is just incredible and her arrangements were (imho) ahead of their time. With that sparkling light touch of hers you can hear the inspiration she had on players like Wynton Kelly.

Junior Parker's recording of Percy Mayfield's "What a Fool I Was". I think most people rate his Sun and Duke recordings highest but there isn't a single track I don't love from his Mercury/Blue Rock LPs.

After I landed every Parker recording I could find (including about 20 45s that didn't make it to any compilation or were on the flip of one of his hits), I had a tough time programming a "Very Best Of" compilation to keep in the car. I've been listening to that sucker non-stop for about three weeks and only this morning did I finally take it out of the player.

370559.jpg:wub:

Junior Parker's recording of Percy Mayfield's "What a Fool I Was". I think most people rate his Sun and Duke recordings highest but there isn't a single track I don't love from his Mercury/Blue Rock LPs.

After I landed every Parker recording I could find (including about 20 45s that didn't make it to any compilation or were on the flip of one of his hits), I had a tough time programming a "Very Best Of" compilation to keep in the car. I've been listening to that sucker non-stop for about three weeks and only this morning did I finally take it out of the player.

370559.jpg:wub:

Okay Dan, ya got me. Where's a good place to start for a novice?

Shawn,

The Mercury half of the Mercury/Blue Rock years can be easily found on a Collectables comp, The Mercury Years and that's what I would most recommend. I'm So Satisfied contains all the recordings for Mercury and its subsidiary, but its not easy to find. When I finally found it cheap, I sent the Mercury comp to my brother, who became a Parker nut like me, so you may be the next guy I convert. ;)

There are two Duke compilations, Backtracking and Junior's Blues that are OOP. I covered those tracks by grabbing original LP comps like Best Of, Driving Wheel, and the ABC Collection. Those can be found cheap usually at Ebay Stores, so they can be an alternative to the OOP CDs.

Allen would say that you should start with the Sun recordings, Mystery Train on Rounder is the place to go for that, but I really find that I go to Parker's "smoother" style of the Duke years and beyond.

Just this evening, I found a nice clean copy of The Jazz Makers (a Columbia anthology) on LP, and the very first song, which I have heard before but maybe not really heard until this listen--Louis Armstrong, Savoy Blues, the Hot Five plus Lonnie Johnson--it sounds glorious.

i've been listening to lots of Grant Green lately and digging it as always (early and late), but the single track that did the most for me recently was a relatively obscure later Drifters thing with lead vocals by Ben E. King, who also cowrote it, called "Sometimes I Wonder".

I too dig Jr Parker, have to listen to some soon...

Edited by danasgoodstuff

The not fair part of that is. . . you presenting us with the image of Chuck Nessa tearing up!

:)

You know we prefer to think of you as more "Chuck Norris"- like!

Perhaps someone should start a "Chuck Nessa Facts" thread, a la the "Chuck Norris Facts" site. :g

Edited by Big Al

Portishead "Hunter" - I'm slowly warming up to some of their Third album, although I still don't care for most of it. This song, track two, is really beautiful.

Joe Bataan "What Good Is A Castle" - Not the usual latin salsa bit or disco sound I've heard from Bataan, this is like a slow oldie. Really cool tune from the album Riot. The lyrics are a tad awkward, but I still love it.

Dizzy Reece "Spiritus Parkus" from Asia Minor. MartyJazz included this on a BFT a long time back, but I've since picked up the whole album. My ears pick up every time this tune comes on, such an addictive theme. Chill-inducing.

Betty Carter - "When I Fall In Love", from that Tokyo 1963 Rollins thing from one of those Illicit Thief Labels. Steal it any way you can, because Betty's in rare form on this one, a nice slow ballad where she finds a deep pocket for harmonic & rhythmic virtuostic variations.

Also "Mack The Knife" by the Rollins/Ali/Bley/Grimes/McCurdy group from the same album. Good god!

And finally, "Superficial People" by Kenny Bobien . The more Kenny Bobien I hear, the I want to hear.

"The Rock" from Big John Patton's Minor Swing, featuring John Zorn. Always found the original version so-so, but this version really jumps out at you.

wanted to(and will) post something similar, the version of Congo Chant from Patton's Blue Planet Man... don't know the original version though...; i really like zorn and ed cherry with patton so i guess i'll have to get minor swing as soon as i find an affordable copy...

great idea for a thread!

The theme of "Diggin' for Diz" keeps going round in my head. It's a Stan Levey reprise on This Time the Drum's on Me of George Handy's "Diggin' Diz", recorded by Diz and Bird in 1946 with Stan on drums. Those "Lover" changes are irresistible!