Best track you heard all week

jazzbo

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Art Pepper plays "Summertime". MS-15, disk #3. Carl Perkins (at the pianist chair) is doing an amazing job too.

41zWyUghJBL._SS500_.jpg

Yes, that is a great one!

My favourite for the week is the Mel Lewis Jazz Orchestra playing "A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square", arranged by Ed Neumeister, solos by Kenny Werner and Dick Oatts from this album:

513FPuoaGJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Sonny Clark w/ Ike Quebec, "Deep In A Dream" off Leapin' & Lopin' which I listened to for the first time. Exceptional, like everything Ike did at the time.

Well said. This phrase "Exceptional, like everything he did at the time." applies equally as well to either player.

Edited by Shawn

• 2 weeks later...

I've been transferred stuff from several portable hard drives onto a new hard drive bought solely to back up music. Still have a long way to go, but most of the core stuff is secure now -- or at least saved in a couple of places.

Anyway, revisiting some old favorites.

"Work" performed by Chris Spedding & Peter Frampton from Side 4 of the double LP "That's The Way I Feel Now - A Tribute to Thelonious Monk"

And now "Walk Spirit, Talk Spirit" which is Side 4 of McCoy Tyner's Enlightenment LP.

• 2 weeks later...

Hattie Hudson: "Doggone My Good Luck Soul" from Before the Blues Vol. 2 (Yazoo) - mainly for Will Tyson's piano accompaniment

and

Blind Joe Taggart: "Been Listening All the Day" from Before the Blues Vol. 2 (Yazoo) - Maybe the races weren't supposed to mix in the old south, but their musics sure did.

K-Man's Crew from the Joe Locke/David Hazeltine Quartet CD titled Mutual Admiration Society.

Very nice. Those Mutual Admiration Society albums are pretty nifty.

The track that's been hitting the right notes with me lately is from Paul Lieberman's new album Ibeji. The song is "Azul No Verde e Amarelo". Reminds me of Don Pullen's African-Brazilian Connection work on Blue Note.

Edited by Chicago Expat

Pack it Up, from Pretenders II.

Cranked this album up this weekend and it really socked me hard. Memories and body rushes and butt-shakingly so.

Pack it Up just seems like a cathartic anthem for any new venture, an avalanch release of frustration. This track, and this album, I feel show how Chrissie Hynde had taken the Hendrix psychedelic-pop template and revitalized it at the close of 'seventies.

9092.jpg

Gonna go with "Tin Tin Deo" by Junior Mance from the album "Happy Time" Great chemistry here between Junior and Mickey Roker who is outstanding on this track. I've played this a number of times the past several days.

That's an excellent session!

Jan Kopinski - "Dream Road"

It's from a soundtrack he did back in, hm, I want to say 2003. I only discovered Kopinski recently when emusic began offering several of his albums (as "new releases"). Dream Road is so heartbreakingly beautiful, I get a little teary-eyed just listening to it when I'm in a sad mood.

You can stream the song on his site...

Kopinski site

"Base on Balls" from this, especially for Horace Silver's solo, not to mention Doug Watkins' beautiful sounding bass:

514GhtITp2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Yes yes! This just might be THE song to use to describe the sound of Blue Note in the 50's!

"Round Lake Burnt Hills - a very interesting Peter Leitch compostion from this very interesting CD. Listened to the whole CD 5 times in a row on a recent car trip.

Excellent jazz music.

c78008a4he4.jpg

Very interesting and most excellent album! I remember hearing "Song for Jobim" for the very first time and just feeling that all was right with the world.