• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Actually two, and they may come from last week:

- Scrapple From the Apple on Jim Hall Live (Horizon/Verve)- it's not just Hall's great playing but the interaction of the whole group that really grabs me. Collective improvisation (without being 'free') at the very highest level. No wonder Hall loved this group. (And yet another incentive to think about getting the Hall set on artistshare, in spite of the $$$)

- Blues for Philly Joe from Sonny Rollins' Newks's Time (Blue Note) - always loved this performance; one of my favorite jazz tracks of all time.

Edited by John Tapscott

A hard swinging version of John Coltrane's "Red Planet" from c403589x340.jpg. Outstanding tenor solo by Chris Potter. In fact, the whole CD is very good with an excellent rhythm section of Gary Mazzaroppi (bass ) and Glenn Davis (drums).

Honorable mention- "Gloria" from a private CDR of the Clarke-Boland Big Band, May 16, 1968, Stuttgart, featuring a wonderful tenor solo by Tony Coe.

Edited by John Tapscott

"Brownie Speaks" from The Clifford Brown Memorial Album (Blue Note), with an amazing trumpet solo that must be still sending trumpeters to the 'shed nearly 60 years later. I can imagine Lou Donaldson waiting to solo and thinking, "Oh man, I hope my solo is going to be OK. I don't want to screw up this take." He didn't, but it's really all Brownie. Wonderful.

"I shall be released" The Band from Music from Big Pink.

Hadn't listened to the album for nigh on twenty years and was inspired to by the sad thread about Levon Helm. Could've chosen many of the tracks but the vocal performance on this track really resonated

• 2 weeks later...

In New Orleans St Charles Hotel 1936 during Little Brother Montgomery’s notable run of 23 tracks laid down in a day, jazz band banjo luminary Guesnon asks if Bro will play behind him on a song he’s written - his first recording, and on vocals only in a great outmoded manner.. not everyones cup of tea but I love it - (the sound quality here is poor)