• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I Only Have Eyes for You by the Flamingos. I just listened to it with fond memories rather than one negative emotion or another...

Loveliest rock & roll record ever. I also heard them sing it at the Regal Theater in Chicago in about 1961 or '62.

And one of the best tempo/reverb synergies ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually have two:

Night Shift -The Commodores

I realize many people feel they ceased to be relavent after Richie left, but this mellow and touching tune became my absolute favorite fom their catalog.

And...

Stay At Peace - Fredrik Kronkvist Quartet

I've never been a huge fan of ballads, so they have to be pretty special for me to really latch on. Most beautiful and haunting ballad I've heard since Branford's cover of Dinner For One Please, James.

"The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' off the Charlie Haden/Pat Metheny 'Beyond the Missouri Sky'.

Haunting tune, played here to perfection, every note choice spot on.

Has sent me in search of other mistresses.

John Hollenbeck recorded a great rendition of this tune on his new album, Songs I Like A Lot.

• 4 weeks later...

"Winter Wine" off Caravan's 'In the Land of Grey and Pink'.

The care that went into that song - lots of delicious key changes, a beautiful contrasting dreamy passage in the centre, some tremendous (and idiosyncratic) 'Canterbury' style organ; and a totally 'English' vocal delivery from Richard Sinclair (in an age when even English singers sounded like they'd spent too long in Memphis). Still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

slt-88581.jpg

Goin' to Acapulco, Bob Dylan and The Band on Basement Tapes.

This is one of the best vocal performances on the album, if not the best overall. I generally think of Tears of Rage and This Wheel's on Fire as emotional high points of this album, especially for the lyrics, but this one is just terrific! And the guitar and organ on it really stick with me.