Best track you heard all week

jazzbo

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"I Concentrate on You" from Maucha Adnet's "Songs I Learned from Jobim." I'm not exactly sure why. The arrangement isn't anything really special, with a lamenting trombone and an almost Basie like rhythm section. But she nails the mood and she delivers almost exactly like Jobim and I find it all very moving. Probably has most to do with my own loneliness for my best friend and lover who is very far away.

songs-i-learned-from-jobim-maucha-adnet-

An absolutely exquisite Rameau aria - 'Tristes apprets'. Was thinking this was a sure fire winner as a signature song for a film or TV series to discover that it had been used in a film about Marie Antoinette amidst a mainly post-punk soundtrack!

It's the sort of thing Morse used to play as he drove round Oxford in his red Jaguar.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

The 37 minute first track from disc 2 (set 2) of Blue Winter with Fred Anderson, William Parker and Hamid Drake

Maybe the furthest thing from what one might expect. Opens with a 5 minute gorgeous unaccompanied tenor solo which morphs into a bass drum dialogue that is simply magical. The tempos really vary throughout with some of the fastest tempos I've heard this trio play. Yet by the end they almost settle into a classic Parker-Drake groove with the great tenorman playing his improvised altered blues in a way that is timeless genius.

The piece also includes a bowed section where Anderson plays a gorgeous stunning repetitive invented line and a bass-drum section that is super funkified via the great drummer pulling out shit that even I had never heard him play - music that should have made this section sampled by modern pop makers! Of course since few people here have never heard this recording for whatever unknown reason, no chance for common sense elsewhere!!

Over the years this track and the whole of disc 1 (set one ~ 45 minutes) have become one of the best examples of seemingly somewhat traditional free jazz (not notated as is the case with all of Fred's music over the last 25 years of his brilliant musical life) of recent times.

Plus as mentioned elsewhere the recording quality is beyond sublime.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

Bavarian Mist from Horace Tapscott's The Dark Tree volume 2

Second track is only the trio of Tapscott, McBee and Cyrille. John Carter sits out on this 13 minute beauty.

Slow to medium tempo.

Majestic composition and a stunning piano improvisation.

Somehow I don't think most of the patrons at The Catalina Club during that special week in 1989 had any idea of what they are hearing based on the response.

I'm sure some did and I've been waiting for someone to emerge who was at these shows.

"Build me up from Bones" by

Sarah Jarosz

as performed on the Late Show with Craig Ferguson

Beautiful and moving

I watched an internet broadcast of one of her concerts from Joe's Pub; I thought she was good.

She's quite impressive, and well-educated musically for a gal from Wimberley. :)

Edited by jazzbo

Sarah Jarosz

Beautiful and moving

I watched an internet broadcast of one of her concerts from Joe's Pub; I thought she was good.

She's quite impressive, and well-educated musically for a gal from Wimberly. :)

visit_wembley_visit_brent.png

;)

Sarah Jarosz

Beautiful and moving

;)

5.jpg

250px-Wimberley_Texas.JPG

217-072-Wimberly-CMYK.jpg

abundanceretreat-tx1.jpg

Two runs through the awesome 37-minute Vandermark composition "All Things Being Equal" on Peter Brötzmann Chicago Tentet - Images. I really like KV's long-form compositions. Lots of variation and movement a la Tim Berne, but more measured and episodic. Also a particularly fine edition of this band with Mars Williams & Hamid Drake on board.

Sarah Jarosz

Beautiful and moving

;)

5.jpg

250px-Wimberley_Texas.JPG

217-072-Wimberly-CMYK.jpg

abundanceretreat-tx1.jpg

does she have a new disc out?

Her most recent came out in September last year; she's put out one in '09 and '11 and now '13 --- I think she's only 22.

This is the cover of the most recent. A copy just shipped to me from amazon, ordered on the strength of that late night TV performance.

sarah-jarosz-album-cover.jpg

Two runs through the awesome 37-minute Vandermark composition "All Things Being Equal" on Peter Brötzmann Chicago Tentet - Images. I really like KV's long-form compositions. Lots of variation and movement a la Tim Berne, but more measured and episodic. Also a particularly fine edition of this band with Mars Williams & Hamid Drake on board.

They played this live back in 2000 or 2001 @ Tonic and it brought the house down. High point of the greatest night of music I've ever experienced live.

I like the CD version but well you know compared to the Tentet with Drake from 15 feet away - nothing in the world compares to that visceral experience.

Here's the clip I saw. I received the cd, very nice.

Her most recent came out in September last year; she's put out one in '09 and '11 and now '13 --- I think she's only 22.

This is the cover of the most recent. A copy just shipped to me from amazon, ordered on the strength of that late night TV performance.

sarah-jarosz-album-cover.jpg

Last track on Other Violets

I believe that tenor playing at the end might be the last John Tchicai on record and it is stunning and almost otherworldly

It is preceded by a studied yet intense drum solo by Tim Daisy and the tune by Jeb Bishop is post bop swing and groove and it's finest

Synergy! I just ordered this today after it popped into my mind last night. $5.50.