• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jeanette James and her Synco Jazzers, The Bumps

(what a groove by everyone involved!)

Mary Lou Williams' first records were with this group. James was the vocalist of the group, later named John Williams' Synco Jazzers. This song is instrumental.

This was on Really the Blues cd 4.

Edited by Neal Pomea

Bessie Jones and the Sea Island Singers/Hobart Smith/Ed Young/Nat Rahmings - "Reg'lar, Reg'lar, Rolling Under." Alan Lomax was usually concerned with recording folk music as he found it, but in 1960 he put together an ensemble to record music which would approximate the earliest African-American music. He brought together musicians who represented some of the oldest musical traditions hanging on in America at the time. Georgia's Sea Island Singers and Mississippi hill country fife player Ed Young came from isolated, majority-black areas whose music reached back to the antebellum period. White banjoist Hobart Smith, from Saltville, Virginia, learned to play from older black musicians as early as 1911, and his participation in this project was enthusiastically endorsed by the other musicians. Nat Rahmings was a Bahamian drummer whose playing, on a deep-toned drum, has just the syncopated bounce/swing you would expect early American black drumming to have.

There's no way to really know, of course, if early African-American music sounded like this. But I've always found this session to be moving and compelling, and "Reg'lar, Reg'lar, Rolling Under" is my favorite track.

The 25 minute first piece from the second set last night @ Cornelia Street Cafe

Again, if one is really into the outskirts of avant-garde combinations, NEVER leave before the second set. Decent first set, THEN:

Doom metal free jazzish improvisational skronk care of Malaby, Monder, Hebert & Williams

In a sane world it is a side long track on an upcoming underground LP that gets played on a radio station as it's awe inspiring power transcends the fact it is wholly improvised and this world will never ever hear anything like it, before, since or ever after.

Easily the best "track" I heard all week

• 2 weeks later...

"You are Beautiful" from "Secret Ellington." Just an amazing duet performance, and the engineering and production transform it into something piercingly touching to me, just makes me a puddle, brings out a bundle of recent emotions in me, all great emotions to revisit.