• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Jerry McCain, Blues Singing Man

Tried to find a youtube version; I'm sure someone else knows this.  A tale of a blues singing man, his new girl, and her mama who don't like him.  Perfect lyrics and music - when he promises the mama he'll sing her a "sweet church song" if she don't pull the trigger on her shotgun, everybody drops out for a piano interlude, then back to a very infectious bass line and another verse with a new girl. But he's still got a problem with the mama. I just giggle the whole way thru.

Very glad to have discovered this guy recently.

Forest Boats by Wing Walker Orchestra

a0941125033_16.jpg

About five years ago, I started Wing Walker Orchestra. Forest Boats is the first song I composed. Around this time, I was watching a lot of films by Michel Gondry. I wanted to capture the feeling of the music in these films - mostly composed by Jon Brion. His movies and the music for them are melancholy, folksy, and quirky. 

Forest Boats is very simple and almost naive in a way - like children’s music. Even though it isn’t composed for a film, I tried to arrange the piece so it feels cinematic. Familiar characters and themes keep returning but each time they’ve evolved. 

I learned a lot composing this and think it’s a good introduction to our band. There’s much more music to come. Thank you for listening. 

-Drew Williams

credits

released September 11, 2017 
Composed by Drew Williams 
Produced by Alan Ferber 
Mixed and Recorded by Chris Benham at Big Orange Sheep 
Mastered by Joseph Branciforte at Greyfade Studios 
Art Work by Brendan Culp 

Alto Saxophone-Brad Mulholland 
Tenor Saxophone - Eric Trudel 
Bass Clarinet - Drew Williams 
Trumpet - John Blevins 
Trumpet - Danny Gouker 
Trombone - Karl Lyden 
Trombone - Nick Grinder 
Guitar - Jeff McLaughlin 
Piano - Marta Sánchez 
Acoustic Bass - Adam Hopkins 
Drums - Nathan Ellman-Bell

Much of March in my area has been snow hell (well over 4 feet fell, most nights around 10 deg. F). A few warmer sunny days recently, and took great pleasure in listening to "Springtime Again" by Sun Ra and the Arkestra.

Edited by T.D.

Jack Cooper's "Gynn Square."  He was half of the amazing Ultimate Painting songwriting partnership that just ended (their albums are all worth checking out, especially if you're a fan of the Velvet Underground's third, eponymous album, often used as a point of comparison for their sound--but they morphed it into something all their own).  This song is beautifully evocative, a sort of Joycean-portrait-of-the-artist-as-a-young-man moment from Sandgrown, the childhood-song-cycle solo album Cooper released last year.  Another sign to me that we're living through another golden age of indie pop: