jazzbo

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, paul secor said:

I saw him 20 years ago performing in the Royal Soul Revue with Percy Sledge, Ben E. King, Lloyd price, Jerry Butler, Gene Chandler, and others - emcee was Peter Wolf. Chuck Jackson still had a great voice then and was still doing it.

Struth!

I haven't seen ANY of those guys live.

MG

I've just realised that it was the Motown version of 'I keep forgetting' I posted.

Here's the original version, which is the one I was listening to.

MG

5 minutes ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Back in '67, I had a Wallace Brothers LP - Soul connection on Island

R-3427294-1330015993.jpeg.jpg

I played it a few times but I can't say that it grabbed me, so it went after a few months and I never looked back :)

A mistake?

MG

Just kept this Kent CD for sentimental reason with "Lover`s Prayer" being the highligt of their Sims output ... but they were much better two years later after their Sims stint when joining Jewel and some true deep soul gems like "I Stayed Away Too Long", "My Baby`s Gone" and "I Need Someone" saw the light of day .... unfortunately only three 45`s were released and - omitting a couple of unreleased tracks issued later in Japan - the Wallace Brothers were lost in the shadows (again) ....

3 hours ago, soulpope said:

Btw all these tracks were recorded at Muscle Shoals ....

No magic in ANY recording studio, not RVG's, Cosimo Matassa's, Stax's, not even Roy DuNann's mail room in the Contemporary office. All recorded rubbish sometimes; other times just stuff that wasn't brilliant, other times stuff that knocks your ears off. It's the team of record company staff and musicians wot makes the difference.

MG

9 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

No magic in ANY recording studio, not RVG's, Cosimo Matassa's, Stax's, not even Roy DuNann's mail room in the Contemporary office. All recorded rubbish sometimes; other times just stuff that wasn't brilliant, other times stuff that knocks your ears off. It's the team of record company staff and musicians wot makes the difference.

MG

These tracks were recorded with Muscle Shoals Swampers and both songs and production are top notch .... you can HEAR it ....

5 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

I would differ slightly, from having recorded a lot; the room can make a huge difference, sonically; I am very fussy about this, and if the room sucks sonically, nothing will make the recording sound good.

Lots of things can make a difference, including the age and condition of the individual instruments.

The point I was making is that people can and do make rubbish recordings anywhere. Of course, sometimes it might be great-sounding rubbish...

MG

25 minutes ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Lots of things can make a difference, including the age and condition of the individual instruments.

The point I was making is that people can and do make rubbish recordings anywhere. Of course, sometimes it might be great-sounding rubbish...

MG

OK .... but in my original post I was referring to the fact, that the Wallace Brothers tracks were recorded at Muscle Shoals (in 1969) and  - if being familiar with sound being sourced from there - you will recognize it immediately ....