Best track you heard all week

jazzbo

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Opus No. Zero" from TOSHIKO AT THE TOP OF THE GATE (Denon), a quintet performance in '68 that features Kenny Dorham, Lew Tabackin with Ron Carter and Mickey Roker filling out the rhythm section. Really cooks, tempo changes, and of course, that gorgeous bittersweet tone of KD.

Okay Dan, ya got me. Where's a good place to start for a novice?

I have the Sun recordings and its amazing, not only do you get Junior Parker you also get Pat Hare on guitar.

My track of the week: Que Lindo Eso, Eh! / Isn't It Pretty! by Eddie Palmieri, totally unexpected as it could pass for an early 70's McCoy Tyner tune. The track Chocolate Ice Cream that comes after on Superimposition is also great. Man these guys could play some jazz.

For non Jazz the re-issue of Strangers Almanac by Whiskytown and the track Somebody Remembers The Rose, one of my favorite Alt Country tunes.

Edited by WorldB3

Ironically enough, Lon, I've been listening to a lot of Dolphy the past two days and have found myself particularly hooked on "Something Sweet, Something Tender" from OUT TO LUNCH.

Also hooked on two non-jazz, unreleased Elliott Smith tracks: "Stickman" and "True Love."

Oddly enough, "Out to Lunch" is one of my least played Blue Notes, and a Dolphy recording I never listen to. Just have never really enjoyed it.

Junior Mance - "For Dancers Only" from his latest Sackville Cd "Groovin' With Junior" - a swinging, romping, bluesy performance which just keeps building and building for 11 + miunutes. Don Thompson and Archie Alleyne are excellent in support.

"For Dancers Only" is a great tune. I was surprised when I found it on Victor Feldman's 1960 album, Merry Olde Soul, having only heard up till then the late-thirties' Jimmy Lunceford version of this Cy Oliver tune. So Junior recorded it as well? It's obviously a good vehicle for modern pianists!

black sabbath - iron man

:excited:

I love the instrumental edit used during the end credits of the film.

Have to admit I did too. Not a Sabbath fan but that was cool.

I've seen it twice now, and am going to see it again tomorrow. (It's just me being loyal to my friends. Four of us had planned to see it together, but it turned out we couldn't. . . I am seeing it with each of them. :) It was great to see it twice, I'm sure it will be nice again tomorrow.

Junior Mance - "For Dancers Only" from his latest Sackville Cd "Groovin' With Junior" - a swinging, romping, bluesy performance which just keeps building and building for 11 + miunutes. Don Thompson and Archie Alleyne are excellent in support.

"For Dancers Only" is a great tune. I was surprised when I found it on Victor Feldman's 1960 album, Merry Olde Soul, having only heard up till then the late-thirties' Jimmy Lunceford version of this Cy Oliver tune. So Junior recorded it as well? It's obviously a good vehicle for modern pianists!

Junior recorded it for Sackville in 1983, with Martin Rivera on bass, on the album "For dancers only". He does like that tune. And John, thanks for alerting me to the issue of a new Junior Mance.

Also it was recorded by Moses Davis - the writer of "Jan Jan" and organist with funk band the Counts - in about 1963/64 for a 45 on Tollie (a Vee-Jay subsidiary). Very nice version that.

I think I have another version or two (including Lunceford's) knocking about.

MG

PS Junior ALSO recorded "For dancers only" on his Jazzland album "Happy time"!!!

PS Junior ALSO recorded "For dancers only" on his Jazzland album "Happy time"!!!

Quick look in Cook and Morton dates Happy Time at 1962. So it WAS Victor who brought "For Dancers Only" into the modern piano repertoire. I'm not too surprised, as there are other signs that he knew his pre-war jazz - Ellington and Fats Waller tunes in his repertoire, plus extensive big band experience, stretching right back to his days as a child prodigy drummer!

Quick look in Cook and Morton dates Happy Time at 1962. So it WAS Victor who brought "For Dancers Only" into the modern piano repertoire. I'm not too surprised, as there are other signs that he knew his pre-war jazz - Ellington and Fats Waller tunes in his repertoire, plus extensive big band experience, stretching right back to his days as a child prodigy drummer!

That's correct. According to Lord, the only modern jazz versions of the tune from before 1961, when Vic Feldman recorded it, were by Johnny Griffin in 1953, Babs Gonzales also in 1953, Bill Perkins in 1956 and Art Van Damme in 1958 (does an accordion count? :)). There's also an undated French session, which appears before the Feldman, by Pierre Gossez, featuring Georges Arvanitas on piano.

But not very many pianists have recorded it subsequently. Lord lists only Mance and the Three Sounds. Most recordings, including recent ones such as J J Johnson's, have been by big bands. I think that's a pity, because it's a damn good number.

Oh, and I found that I also have a version by Clark Terry :)

MG

Shirley Scott also recorded For Dancers Only on the album Roll 'Em.

Another big band job. I don't have that one - weren't the arrangements by Oliver Nelson?

MG

Yes. I need to dig this one out and listen to it again, it's an interesting date...although not as successful as Latin Shadows.