Best track you heard all week

jazzbo

Dizzy Reece "Spiritus Parkus" from Asia Minor. MartyJazz included this on a BFT a long time back, but I've since picked up the whole album. My ears pick up every time this tune comes on, such an addictive theme. Chill-inducing.

I remember that BFT and picked that CD up for the same reason. I love humming along with the bari part during the head!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"For Dancers Only" seems also to have spawned a string of similar titles. There's Jimmy Heath's "For Minors Only" and I seem to remember "For Stompers Only" by Stan Getz in the early fifties, tho' I may be wrong!

Maybe the granddaddy of the "Minors" spawn is Tadd's "For Europeans Only" written for the Don Redman band in 1946.

"For Dancers Only" seems also to have spawned a string of similar titles. There's Jimmy Heath's "For Minors Only" and I seem to remember "For Stompers Only" by Stan Getz in the early fifties, tho' I may be wrong!

Maybe the granddaddy of the "Minors" spawn is Tadd's "For Europeans Only" written for the Don Redman band in 1946.

Interesting! Hadn't heard of that one.

For different reasons I have really been moved by the following two tracks and listened to them both repeatedly over the weekend:

Hector Lavoe - "El Cantante" - El Cantante - The Originals

HezeKiah Walker & The Love Fellowship Crusade - "Faithful Is Our God" - 20/85 The Experience

I realize these are not the typical tracks expected to be mentioned on this thread, but it is what it is.

It's a tie:

Billy Mitchell, J & B from THIS IS BILLY MITCHELL.

William Parker, LAND SONG from CORN MEAL DANCE.

Honorable mention to Mark Shim, OVEIDA from MIND OVER MATTER. If not for the horrendous guitar, that would've been *the* track.

For different reasons I have really been moved by the following two tracks and listened to them both repeatedly over the weekend:

HezeKiah Walker & The Love Fellowship Crusade - "Faithful Is Our God" - 20/85 The Experience

I realize these are not the typical tracks expected to be mentioned on this thread, but it is what it is.

I don't have ANY Hezekiah Walker. What vintage is that one? What label?

MG

MG

It is a 2005 release on the Verity label.

MG

It is a 2005 release on the Verity label.

Thanks.

MG

Can't choose just one - listened to too much good music this week:

Bill Dixon: "Places and Things" from Considerations 1 (Fore)

Joseph Jarman: "Little Fox Run" - previously unissued, longer version & "Non-Cognitive Aspects of the City" from Song For (Delmark)

Hi Henry Brown (w. Charley Jordan): "Preacher Blues" from Times Ain't Like They Used To Be Vol. 4 (Yazoo)

The 17:12 minute version of "Mambo Koyama" by Art Pepper from The Last Concert May 30, 1982. Very intense playing from Art and the band. Roger Kellaway plays exciting piano on this track. There's no obvious indication that Art was near the end of the line. Or maybe he knew he was and that's why his playing was so focused. In any case, Art plays extremely well throughout this CD.

I've played a couple of things that are very familiar to me but on which one cut really got through.

Bembeya Jazz National - Sou - from "Parade Africaine"

Sonny Cox - The retreat song - from "The wailer"

Both tracks were immediate favourites when I bought the albums a long time back, so there's nothing really revelatory about hearing them again. And yet there was.

MG