Best track you heard all week

jazzbo

[font="Arial"]"Just Friends" as played by the Montclair Women's Big Band, at the Kennedy Center on Saturday May 17, as part of the Mary Lou Williams , Women in Jazz Festival.

Does anyone know who wrote the arrangement that band uses on "Just Friends"? Is it Rob McConnell?

Wonderful section writing for the trombones!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

John Fahey: "Sligo River Blues" (1967 version) from The Legend of Blind Joe Death

"Lodagaa Wilks and Gulu" - flute and percussion music from West Africa - Drum, Chant and Instrumental Music (Nonesuch Explorer)

Actually could have chosen several other tracks from each of these recordings, but these two stuck with me.

An untitled blues on a DVD I recently received of Gene Harris at Otter Crest in 1981.

The concert was released as an LP and later a Concord CD but the video of the entire show is approximately an hour and fifteen minutes longer, and includes a thirty minute mini-set by the trio before singer Bill Henderson comes out. They wrap it up with one of Gene's patented romping, stomping thoroughly invigorating blues. I've recently been feeling especially down over pretty much every aspect of my life, but one thing I should be thankful for is that listening to that performance, which isn't all that different from any of Gene's usual audience-pleasing shtick, still brings a smile to my face and a shudder up my spine. I may know what is going to come next, as Larry remarked in his thread, but I'm glad I can still listen to it.

An untitled blues on a DVD I recently received of Gene Harris at Otter Crest in 1981.

The concert was released as an LP and later a Concord CD but the video of the entire show is approximately an hour and fifteen minutes longer, and includes a thirty minute mini-set by the trio before singer Bill Henderson comes out. They wrap it up with one of Gene's patented romping, stomping thoroughly invigorating blues. I've recently been feeling especially down over pretty much every aspect of my life, but one thing I should be thankful for is that listening to that performance, which isn't all that different from any of Gene's usual audience-pleasing shtick, still brings a smile to my face and a shudder up my spine. I may know what is going to come next, as Larry remarked in his thread, but I'm glad I can still listen to it.

You're only young, Dan. Just think what you've got to look forward to :)

MG

Hm, before I forget :)

Jimmy McGriff - Moonlight serenade, from "Movin' upside the blues" - Jam - swings like crazy, but is so cool and beautiful.

Todd Rhodes - Dance of the red skins, from "Blues for the Red Boy: The early Sensation recordings" - Ace. Holly Dismukes' really scorching alto solo on this stopped me clean in my tracks this morning!

MG

Somewhere I Belong - Gabot Szabo - 1969.

The album itself is a bit lame, while he always did pop covers he would do something interesting with them but on 1969 its kind of a sell out record except for the last track which sounds like it could be by Primal Scream or some DJ like Darren Emerson spinning in Paris or London. No electronics on it but it has this fat groove, great reverb and trippy guitar playing that sounds 35 years ahead of its time.

Laughing - David Crosby - If Only I Could Remember My Name.

David Crosby harmonizing over great sounding layered 12 string guitars and Jerry Garica laying down some gorgeous Pedal Steel. Heaven.

Edited by WorldB3