Best track you heard all week

jazzbo

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Bag's Groove" both takes from the album by the same name. Bought the RVG and kept going back to these. Though I've known these takes for years and years they always bring something to me when they're on.

Yes, great! Some of the most enigmatic Monk on record on one of those takes. Milt Jackson on peak form, too.

Edited by BillF

From James Brown's "Soul Pride: The Instrumentals"--The King

Tighten Up (with an extended jazz trumpet

solo by Waymon Reed, which is exciting)

Waymon Reed had an interesting career, for a musician few people have heard of. Worked with Ira Sullivan, James Brown, Count Basie, Thad Jones/Mel Lewis, All Star Trumpet Spectacular and Sarah Vaughan (to whom he was married), before dying of cancer.

Been listening to the Dean Benedetti Bird CDs this week. Standouts for me at the moment are *Sweet Geogia Brown*, No. 19 on disc 1 - that pure, inventive, swinging/ driving *Lady be Good* feeling... and *All the Things You Are*, no. 13 on disc 5, where Bird's unbelievable reinventions after Kenny Hagood's vocal send shivers down the spine ...

Q

"Ancien combatant" by Balla & ses Balladins, from the album "The Syliphone years" - Sterns. I've actually had this track for many years on the Syliphone compilation "Discotheque 74" but, having got the Balla set, hearing it in the context of the band's other work from that time has pushed it in a little further (or is it farther?). Anyway, three cheers for the old soldier.

MG