Best track you heard all week

jazzbo

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

not a track, really, but the title melody of Hitchcock's "Marnie", of course by Bernard Herman - kept haunting me for a couple of days. too bad Stephan Oliva didn't cover it on his "Ghosts of Bernard Herman" disc - would love to hear some jazz version(s) of that melody, and Oliva could pull that!

There is a pretty nice Marnie "suite" on this...

51ThOPM43EL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Marnie is one of my favorite Herrmann scores as well...absolutely gorgeous.

"Popo", a Shorty Rogers composition and arrangement played by a nonet led by Art Pepper on The Artistry of Pepper.

Great achievement to get a nonet, including a tuba, steamin'! On the issued (as opposed to alternative) take the rhythm section of Russ Freeman, Monty Budwig and Shelly Manne sound out of their heads!

Edited by BillF

Hope I'm not finding these tracks too often! The best track you heard all day, more like! But couldn't resist listing this one:

"Stompin' at the Savoy" from Art Farmer Quartet Featuring Jim Hall, Live at the Half Note. Backed by Walter Perkins and Steve Swallow, they attain a prodigious swing on this one! :tup

"I Don't Know" (Willie Mabon composition) by Freddie King, off of a new reissue of his Atlantic recording, My Feeling For The Blues. Amazing performance of a classic tune.

Guess you heard this on the radio. <_<

:blink:

The last time I listened to the radio was last November when I replaced the car stereo. :beee:

And why is it that you presume this to be the case?

Not a song, but a whole album: Getz/Gilberto

Once "The Girl from Ipanema" starts, I leave the whole album on and remember why this is and always will be one of my top-five albums ever. Love to hum along with Joao when he sings (and occasionally I get some of the pronunciations right!).

One jazz tune, and one bad-80's-synth-pop tune:

"Sweet Sapphire Blues" by John Coltrane. Even at 18+ minutes, it's too short. I could ride A.T.'s groooooove all day!

"Love is a Stranger" by the Eurythmics. AFAIC, they never topped this. Icy, sleek, robotic, and CATCHY AS HELL!!!! So... it's... an... obsession! :g

Guest Bill Barton

has anyone heard the new Terrance Howard album? its supposed to be good
:tdown:tdown:tdown Yeah, I've heard it, and I don't care for it at all. The guy may be talented but it's a little hard to tell burrowing through the overproduction.

Back to something that has serious soul...

This week the new Charlie Haden with family and friends disc Rambling Boy is getting lots of repeat play here. Although there are some "big name" guests among the friends, the tracks featuring the Haden family are the ones that really reach me the most so far, and the one at the top of the list - right now - is "The Fields of Athenry" with Petra Haden's vocal. Gorgeous. And chilling.

Edited by Bill Barton

JAZZ: the title track to Danilo Perez' Across the Crystal Sea. I got this more for Claus Ogerman than Perez, but Perez playing is gorgeous on this whole album (admittedly, the first album of his that I've purchased). The theme has constantly been running through my head.

ROCK/POP: Can you believe I'm still listening to "Love is a Stranger" nonstop? (Hush, Skid!) Seriously, Zep's "The Rain Song" has gotten me again. I love to change the tuning on the acoustic guitar so I can play along with this tune. Still as stunning as when I first heard it back in '85.