Best track you heard all week

jazzbo

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yesterday morning during the drive to work, 91.1 (the jazz station here in the Toronto area) played "Blues For Pres, Sweets, Ben & All The Other Funky Ones" from Sonny Stitt's Sits In With The Oscar Peterson Trio. Let's just say it left such an impression on me that the first thing I listened to today was the whole album!

It's so hard to tell this week. . . these are the two I can't pick from:

"All the Things you Are," Andy Bey from "It Ain't Necessarily So"

"Inside Out," Keith Jarrett/Gary Peacock/Jack DeJohnette from "Inside Out"

Edited by jazzbo

"Fools are Getting Scarcer" by Roy Milton

"You Can't Beat The Horses" by Big Boy Groves

Bettin on horses done just about run me crazy

Yeah since I been playin them horses I ain't got a bit of sense

And when I say sense I mean C - E - N - T - S - CENTS

:g

• 3 weeks later...

"If I Ever Had a Good Thing" by Johnny Adams

Edit to note that it was composed by Tony Joe White, who also wrote "Rainy Night in Georgia". :tup

I never heard the man sing, but there ain't no way he does his own song as good as the one and only Johnny Adams.

Edited by Dan Gould

Donny Hathaway - "I Know It's You" from Extensions Of A Man

Good lord, what a song, what a performance, what a record... one for the ages.

Sometimes I hear something like this and ask myself how many musicians (or teams of musicians, after all it's a Leon Ware song, and Arif Mardin arrangement, and a Jerry Wexler/Arif Mardin production that Hathaway's damn near god-like vocal is divining) of any "style" could come up with such a fully perfect musical statement, and the answer is almost comically low.

But hey - it can happen, and here it did. 30 + years later, I remain in awe.

Jazz: Roy Eldridge's "Dale's Wail." Roy, Papa Jo, OP goin' apeshit on the organ. DAMN!!!!

Rock: David Bowie's "Aladdin Sane." I actually heard this at the Austin Record Convention a couple weeks ago; was standing at one of the counters and heard this ridiculously catchy beat and tthen heard one of the wildest piano solos on a rock record this side of Jerry Lee Lewis. The guy running that stand was too busy for me to pester him, and all I could tell was that the record was "Changestwobowie." I didn't find out the name of the track until I got back home that night and listened to all the tracks. I love a song like that!

"Machine Messiah" by Yes.

I never paid any attention to the Drama album because of it's reputation...but after listening to it, I can't for the life of me see what's so wrong with it. This song returns them to their "epic track" status and Steve Howe just KILLS on this sucker. A couple songs are dead on arrival, but for the most part I think this album is much better than Tormato (which had Anderson and Wakeman on board).