Best track you heard all week

jazzbo

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Vince Guaraldi's "Rain Rain Go Away." Not a comment on today's weather, but just because it always makes me feel wistful, especially as I watch my son and his friends grow older.

Also, Al Green's "Love and Happiness," which has a backbeat so thick, nasty, greeeazy, and funky, it oughta be against the law! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Virgo - Wayne Shorter

I was playing it on the piano, trying different voicings, kind of breaking it down and it hit me what a great composition it is.

on the listening side Andrew Hill's Wailing Wall from Smokestack moved me, I have a hard time with Smokestack but was digging it this week.

"If I Were Eve," Alice Babs, from the cd "As Time Goes By: 14 Never Previously Released Recordings from 1960-1964". A short track, but it contains a whack and wild solo from Svend Amussen on electric violin with wah-wah pedal that I just love to hear! Svend is alwyas excellent, this one is just. . . off the chart.

babs_alice~_astimegoe_101b.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

Yeah World B3, your avatar is exactly what's on my mind. Lawrence of Newark was not what I was expecting from 1973 Larry Young; this album is WAY heavier than his BN's! Those first two tracks, Sunshine Fly Away and Khalid of Space Part Two-Welcome (with Juni Booth laying down some thick bass) were mindblowing.

"The Coaster" off of Grachan Moncur III's great 'Evolution' album - with Lee Morgan, Jackie McLean, Bobby Hutcherson, Bob Cranshaw, and Tony Williams. Recorded 11/21/63, the day before JFK got shot. Talk about timeless music that hasn't aged!

Glen Campbell/Jimmy Webb - "Ocean In His Eyes" from 1974's Reunion.

Sounds to me like the Gods Of Music Future got together and said, "Ok, let's get these guys together & make them re-envision Country Music as stemming from the common ground between Rubber Soul & Pet Sounds & wait 15-20 years for Country Music to catch up. Only not nearly as well."

I mean, ok, hey - this is a GREAT song/record. Not so sure about the rest of the album yet, but this one song is, like, WHOA, where the f*&k does THIS come from?

"Ad Lib Blues" from Lester Young with the Oscar Peterson Trio (Verve)

I love Lester in this cool, boppish mode. The trio swings like mad, helped on by that seriously underrated drums master, J C Heard.

Damn straight! :tup :tup :tup That guy swung so many great Verve 50's sessions I've lost count!