Best track you heard all week

jazzbo

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

""Keystone" from the Joe Henderson album MIRRORS,MIRRORS. This tune written by Ron Carter has, to my ears, a Monk feeling.

A fine solo by Joe, and Chick Corea's solo is one of his best as a sideman. Billy Higgings playing here reminded me of Roy Haynes.

Unfortunately, this tune plus "What's New" are the only tunes on the cd that I really like. But "Keystone" is so enjoyable that I need to

keep the cd.

Anthony Braxton and Stuart Gilmour doing a soprano/piano duet on "Rosetta" from 14 Compositions (Traditional) 1996. What a wonderful and singular album in the man's discography! It starts out in a very polite mode before Anthony rips it apart like only he can. When he comes back to the head (on a dime!) he goes back to playing straight, but laces it with out-phrasing. Love it.

It had been a while, but I listened to Roberta Flack's First Time Ever I Saw Your Face yesterday. The one thing I can agree with myself at age 13: This is the finest recording ever made. I don't care; it just is.

:)

Speaking of Roberta Flack, the "best track" I've heard lately (in fact, I've been somewhat _obsessed_ with it lately): Hampton Hawes, "At The Piano", "Killing Me Softly With His Song"...

d85468l22a3.jpg

Credit where credit is due: Ethan Iverson's blog (Do The Math) has mentioned this record more than once.... also, see (via DTM): JazzWax

It had been a while, but I listened to Roberta Flack's First Time Ever I Saw Your Face yesterday. The one thing I can agree with myself at age 13: This is the finest recording ever made. I don't care; it just is.

:)

Speaking of Roberta Flack, the "best track" I've heard lately (in fact, I've been somewhat _obsessed_ with it lately): Hampton Hawes, "At The Piano", "Killing Me Softly With His Song"...

d85468l22a3.jpg

Credit where credit is due: Ethan Iverson's blog (Do The Math) has mentioned this record more than once.... also, see (via DTM): JazzWax

That's one of my favourite Hamp albums.

MG