Best track you heard all week

jazzbo

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Could really have picked several from Shelly Manne and His Men, Complete Live at the Black Hawk, but I'll go with "Cabu" by Roland Alexander from Disc 4 - wonderful solos from Richie Kamuca and Joe Gordon. On this and so many of the tracks Manne gets the tempo just right for the soloists to really tell their story. Rhythm section has a great feel. Outstanding stuff all around.

P.S. Ira Gitler is mildly critical of Richie Kamuca's playing in his review of Vol 1. (reprinted here). May I say that I think Ira was wrong. Richie was really at the top of his game on this session.

A toss up between:

'Spitfires' by Chris Wood - a perfect piece of restrained political song making.

or:

The slow movement of Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 21. Back in the 70s this was colonised by the Easy Listening bands - people like James Last. Hearing it this afternoon, distanced from the schmaltz, it sounded gorgeous.

Paul Whiteman and His Orchestra - "Lovable" from 1928, for Bix Beiderbecke's brilliant eight-bar solo.

Bix is sometimes hard to appreciate, because so much of his best work appears like gems in a thrash pile - wonderful solos, sometimes very short, on lousy songs, with horrible singers, in dated, overblown settings. But it's worth the effort.

Bill Evans - Interplay (the album, not just title song)

Don't often get to hear Evans really swingin' hard over up-tempo things. Freddie Hubbard really changes the experience from hearing Evans in a trio, which is what I'm accustomed to - Kind of Blue aside. Jim Hall is nice too, but Freddie is FIRE. Recommended with the BeBop Squeal of Approval.

Edited by BeBop

Gus Cannon: "Poor Boy a Long Way from Home" from Memphis Masters (Yazoo)

Beautiful slide banjo

That entire session is amazing - even though it was recorded 1927, it seems to reflect what was going on in African-American music in the 1890s: slide banjo, picked banjo blues, banjo ragtime, and what (unfortunately) used to be called "coon songs." Amazing stuff.

Hugh Ragin; Golf Coast Groove from Feel The Sushine on Justin Time.

But it could have been almost any track. Ragin has a lovely tone and a great command of the instrument. It's about time he poduced something new.

Edited by JohnS