Best track you heard all week

jazzbo

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Paul Desmond`s cover of Jobim`s "Wave" from the Paul Desmond Quartet Live in 1975. Great record with Ed Bickert and Don Thompson (on bass plus he recorded the concert).

Also, many versions of Deep Purple`s "Space Truckin" -- some with strange Glenn Hughes interludes, but most with Ian Gillan.

• 3 weeks later...

Bemsha Swing-- The Thelonious Monk Trio. I'm driving in my car and hear on the radio what I presume is a live Monk version of Bemsha Swing: the piano is out of tune and tinny, the sound is terrible and I think I hear people in the audience talking. But the music is terrific-- there's extraordinary interaction between Monk and the drummer. So when I get to my office I check out the playlist on

KJAZZ's website and discover that it's not a live recording it's from the Prestige release called just "Thelonious Monk Trio" and the drummer is Max Roach. The piano is out of tune and badly recorded but what I thought was noise from the audience is Monk doing his vocalizing.

This is a record that gets no love from critics but I bought it anyway and it's my favorite Monk trio date. (Actually it's 3 dates, 2 with Blakey and one with Roach.

heyyyy chewy here, i too....CHEWY....recently only "got" base on balls too!!!! its true its true, i admit. now that i have Blue Note 45 rpm 1684, I know whats up. youre right: mr. dw gets a spotlite on this one...

ps: i would know more whats up if i could get the lp. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

"Base on Balls" from this, especially for Horace Silver's solo, not to mention Doug Watkins' beautiful sounding bass:

514GhtITp2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...