Best track you heard all week

jazzbo

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maceo Parker "Children's World" from Roots Revisited, and a lot of Hank Crawford 'cause there's a lot of Hank in Maceo.

I'm somewhat ashamed to mention that James Carr was a name completely new to me but I'm real glad I heard "Pouring Water on a Drowning Man".

A wonderful singer and a wonderful record.

Indeed! And now I am taking the full plunge and have on order the "complete Goldwax recordings" and am leaning toward taking the plunge on at least one of the Ace compilations of the Goldwax label. My brother, who knows the soul genre much better than I do, sent me a link to an NPR piece on the label, that's how I found out about Carr.

IMHO, there's only a few more by James Carr as good as "Pouring Water", but then there's not that much by anyone as good as that....enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Duke Ellington/Johnny Hodges "Stompy Jones" from SIDE BY SIDE. It's all great, but it jumps to another level when Duke starts to solo, then Papa Jo starts egging him on and Duke finishes it off by playing the highest and lowest notes on the piano simultaneously before Sweets & Rabbit come back in for an ending so fiery I'm surprised the studio didn't burn down!

Duke Ellington/Johnny Hodges "Stompy Jones" from SIDE BY SIDE. It's all great, but it jumps to another level when Duke starts to solo, then Papa Jo starts egging him on and Duke finishes it off by playing the highest and lowest notes on the piano simultaneously before Sweets & Rabbit come back in for an ending so fiery I'm surprised the studio didn't burn down!

Got to grab that one out of the "archive" and listen to it again. Thanks for the reminder!

• 3 weeks later...

My great new personal discovery is Malachi Thompson. Knocked out by what I heard of him on a couple of CD's I traded for, and have acquired the rest of his Delmark's. Major major jazz musician to my ears. Billy Harper and Gary Bartz apparently think so, also. My track of the week is "Get on the Train" from his 'Blue Jazz' CD. Recommend the CD and his entire catalogue!

My great new personal discovery is Malachi Thompson. Knocked out by what I heard of him on a couple of CD's I traded for, and have acquired the rest of his Delmark's. Major major jazz musician to my ears. Billy Harper and Gary Bartz apparently think so, also. My track of the week is "Get on the Train" from his 'Blue Jazz' CD. Recommend the CD and his entire catalogue!

I heard him at Sweet Rhythm in New York. He had Billy Harper and Oliver Lake in his group. It was rather good.