Best track you heard all week

jazzbo

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been watching this clip for a couple of days now, and it just seems that so many things come together is such a casual way, the music, the dancing, the sound, the look of the set, especially the directing, that it's an amazing testament of "art" emerging from the most unlikely places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP9Xc9Nq4YU

Edited by Matthew

I've been watching this clip for a couple of days now, and it just seems that so many things come together is such a casual way, the music, the dancing, the sound, the look of the set, especially the directing, that it's an amazing testament of "art" emerging from the most unlikely places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP9Xc9Nq4YU

It is indeed lovely, I also watched some more clips of Bobby Fuller, can anyone recommend a good compilation? Love how you froze the clip at the exact moment the closest dancer flips her skirt up!

A performance of "The Second Race" by the Thad-Mel band from a Zurich (IIRC) concert from 1977, played for me by a friend (and a former reed section sub with the band in in the '70s) who a while back was given by a friend of his 17 (!) CDs worth of Thad-Mel concert material. Sound quality was great, and the rhythm section (Mel, Harold Danko, and Rufus Reid) was in terrific form. Soloist was a young Dick Oatts, on tenor.

Stepane Grappelly and Django Reinhardt: "Alabamy Bound" from Django Reinhardt: The Swing Sessions Volume 1 (Frog)

Grappelly is the soloist but Django's backing is astounding.

I don't comment every time I listen to a recommended track. But I listened to this from the JSP box and, you're absolutely right Paul. Astounding.

It's only been a day, not a week, since I posted here, but what the hey.

"Without a Song" from The Persuasions: Spread the Word (Capitol)

If The Persuasions had never recorded anything except this, it would be fine with me. It's that perfect.

Plus it holds a special memory for me. I heard The Persuasions in concert in 2003 - I believe that it was one of the last performances by the original group (minus Toubo Rhoad, who passed in 1988) and perhaps it was their last performance together. After the concert, they were signing autographs. I had a couple of LP jackets and all of the members of the group except for Joe Russell signed them. Joe was wandering about, talking with fans. When I caught up with him, I mentioned that "Without a Song" was my favorite of all of the songs they'd recorded. He immediately lit up with a big smile, hugged me (and Joe was a big guy, so it was a real bear hug), and said that it was his favorite also. His response seemed completely real and I felt good about that.