Best track you heard all week

jazzbo

Hasn't been a week, but what the hey.

"At the Crossroads" from Sir Douglas Quintet: Mendocino

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=594XG32OGvI

"But you just cain't live in Texas/If you don't have a lotta soul"

Some people think that New York City is a weird place. I've always thought that Texas was much stranger. No offense to any Texans in the audience. :)

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

46 minutes ago, paul secor said:

You can't.  They throw you out otherwise.  When we moved here, we had to spend a lot of time proving we had a lot of soul.  And then there were the bureaucratic debates: Exactly how much soul is a lotta soul?  What are the measuring units?  How much soul can leak out per year before you fall below the lotta soul benchmark?  In the end, they let us stay, but warned us we needed to maintain our lotta soul ranking, and there may be spot inspections.  We thanked them kindly, and have enjoyed it here since.

44 minutes ago, mjzee said:

You can't.  They throw you out otherwise.  When we moved here, we had to spend a lot of time proving we had a lot of soul.  And then there were the bureaucratic debates: Exactly how much soul is a lotta soul?  What are the measuring units?  How much soul can leak out per year before you fall below the lotta soul benchmark?  In the end, they let us stay, but warned us we needed to maintain our lotta soul ranking, and there may be spot inspections.  We thanked them kindly, and have enjoyed it here since.

:D

On 4/28/2016 at 2:54 AM, BillF said:

:tup

I love this new Thad/Mel "All My Yesterdays" set.  I don't think I've ever heard Hank Jones play better than he does throughout this set. Every one of his solos is just a gem that fits the music and complements the chart perfectly.   

Edited by John Tapscott

I have a 160 GB iPod in my truck that holds about half of my jazz mp3 files, and I usually set it to shuffle as I drive to the store or wherever.  This one really jumped out at me yesterday.  Parts of it remind me of the guitar work on Music to Eat, an old favorite from back in the day (also available on YouTube if this Nels Cline cut floats your boat).

On 4/26/2016 at 10:12 AM, paul secor said:

Hasn't been a week, but what the hey.

"At the Crossroads" from Sir Douglas Quintet: Mendocino

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=594XG32OGvI

Some people think that New York City is a weird place. I've always thought that Texas was much stranger. No offense to any Texans in the audience. :)

What's weird (to me) is Mott the Hoople doing this tune...but in a good way.

The Great Jazz Trio (Hank/Ron/Tony) playing Tony's Pink Lady on an album from 1978.  I got it from CDJapan recently.  The original Great Jazz Trio in all its glory.  Tony kicks it up a bit and makes Hank sweat.  Nah, not really, but it is a spirited tune well played.

the album is The Great Tokyo Meeting on East Wind.

Edited by six string
Info