• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Keeping in the Black & Blue vein:

Bill Doggett, "Anahuac Breakdown" from Am I Blue (Blues Reference)

I was so glad to give this one a try on the off hand that David "Bubba" Brooks might be on it, and he is not only in the tenor chair for this outing but just happens to blow one of his best solos on this track.

Perhaps not the best track I've heard all week but a Christmas track that had me welling up yesterday:

I've played this on a Xmas compilation for years and always loved the chord sequence, every line different. But (as usual) I'd never listened to the lyrics. For some reason I did yesterday and they are devastating. The pay-off is in the last line.

Sentimental, a bit 'pretty' in the instrumentation, yes. But, oh dear... 

(ignore the powerpoint)

• 2 weeks later...

The tune "Blue Monk" from Curtis Fuller - Fire And Filigree in the Bee Hive Sessions Mosaic Box.

It is the solo on this track by Sal Nistico that is extremely good. Sal is at his very best here and his playing makes this the best track I have heard this week. 

zzcompletebeehivereco_101b.jpg

Edited by Peter Friedman
typo

• 3 weeks later...

R-2768623-1335847336.jpeg.jpg

"Stuffy" from this wonderful record. Hawk is in exuberant form on this track, and the "Three Bosses"  rhythm section (Powell, Pettiford and Clarke) is excellent  on the tracks with Hawk and on the five trio tracks as well. I hadn't listened to this one for some years, but it's one of the best records I've heard recently. 

Edited by John Tapscott