Best track you heard all week

jazzbo

some of that Prokofiev stuff off the Nelson Mosaic (from Jimmy Smith's Peter & the Wolf) - has been haunting me since I played it on Sunday... holy crap, those little themes and leitmotivs are great!

next up: "Come Together" from Lynne Arriale's disc of the same title (plus likely also "Iko Iko" from the same disc... I know a couple of extremely infectuous live version of the later tune already, the CD version will play in a few minutes...)

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not one track--four tracks recorded by Johnny Dodd's Black Bottom Stompers on April 22, 1927 (Weary Blues, New Orleans Stomp, Wild Man Blues, and Melancholy)--with Louis Armstrong on cornet. How did I miss these until now?

From Johnny Dodds, South Side Chicago Jazz.

Five other tracks on this CD, recorded the day before (two also with Louis), are mighty fine as well.

Edited by kh1958

Not one track--four tracks recorded by Johnny Dodd's Black Bottom Stompers on April 22, 1927 (Weary Blues, New Orleans Stomp, Wild Man Blues, and Melancholy)--with Louis Armstrong on cornet. How did I miss these until now?

Five other tracks on this CD, recorded the day before (two also with Louis), are mighty fine as well.

Well, you've revealed that I have severely fucked sleeve notes to my Quadromania Dodds set (surprised?) They list

New Orleans blues - 22 Apr

Wild man blues & Willie the weeper - 7 May

Aligator crawl, Potato head blues & Keyhole blues - 10 May

Melancholy blues & Weary blues - 11 May

Wild man blues (with George Mitchell) - 4 Jun

Whut?

MG

Well, you've revealed that I have severely fucked sleeve notes to my Quadromania Dodds set (surprised?) They list

New Orleans blues - 22 Apr

Wild man blues & Willie the weeper - 7 May

Aligator crawl, Potato head blues & Keyhole blues - 10 May

Melancholy blues & Weary blues - 11 May

Wild man blues (with George Mitchell) - 4 Jun

Whut?

MG

I'm not familiar with Quadromania, but would recommend the well-done MCA/Decca 1990 reissue. It's out of print but cheap copies are available.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00...7281&sr=1-1

I'm not familiar with Quadromania, but would recommend the well-done MCA/Decca 1990 reissue. It's out of print but cheap copies are available.

Very nice reissue in good sound. Alternatively I suggest finding the 4 Dodds issues on Classics and the Neatwork with the alts. Dodds is one of my favorite artists.

Very nice reissue in good sound. Alternatively I suggest finding the 4 Dodds issues on Classics and the Neatwork with the alts. Dodds is one of my favorite artists.

More for the Want List.

More for the Want List.

I had a shufti around. The Classics 1927 is the only one around at present. Amazon France have it for 55 Euro!

Honestly, you'd have thought that someone as important as Dodds would have had a decent box put together.

MG

More for the Want List.

I had a shufti around. The Classics 1927 is the only one around at present. Amazon France have it for 55 Euro!

Honestly, you'd have thought that someone as important as Dodds would have had a decent box put together.

MG

On amazon U.S. the 1927-28 was available used for $14 so I ordered it. The rest of the Classics were variously available for $25, $40 and $58.

Edited by kh1958

More for the Want List.

Besides what's been mentioned, the 4/22/27 recordings, including two alternates, are available on Frog 39 - Johnny Dodds: New Orleans Stomp - Johnny Dodds on Brunswick & Vocalion 1926-27.

Well, it's early in the week, but I don't think anything this week's going to beat The Ummah's remix of Grant Green's "Down Here On The Ground" on The New Groove (The Blue Note Remix Project Volume 1).

d17752k4rlc.jpg

Why? You say (or snicker...).

Easy - the vocal of Dianne Reeves, a singer towards whom I am otherwise perpetually indifferent (which, mind you, is not the same as hostile or uninterested). She sings the hell outta this song here, & The Ummah's chopping of the GG original (which does leave plenty of Grant's solo in the mix, btw) results in a pocket so deep you could hide an ocean liner in it.

But really, it's all about Reeves' vocal. I honestly didn't have the notes in front of me at first and didn't know it was her until I looked. all I knew was that I kept playing the cut over and end over and over and over.

And over. Ms. Reeves was killing me!

As for the rest of the CD, uh...it's ok here & there, a really nice things on "Kofi" & "Move Your Hand", but the rest of it...eh, whatever. A good $5-$6 used buy, I'd say.

But that Dianne Reeves cut is worth all of that, and more!