jazzbo

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What_can_you_do.png

Soul Brothers Six "What Can You Do (When You Got Nobody)"  (Atlantic 45-2456)        1967 .... truly sanctified Soul - the fact that their 45`s for Atlantic and Phil-LA Of Soul did not receive authorized reissue till today says a lot about industrie`s intuition ....

Edited by soulpope

2 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

Yes - amazing recording, and one I often play for folks who aren't familiar with early jazz. 

Some of the CW Blue Five recordings, even with Bechet and Armstrong, are to some extent marred by average or simply mediocre vocals, but this one... woooow!!!

As for Sidney Bechet, this recording, together with his July 30, 1923 session with Thomas Morris on cornet (Wild Cat Blues, Kansas City Man Blues; Bechet's first commercially issued disc), are most likely his best early recordings, although Texas Moaner Blues is no loser, either!

But on the Thomas Morris date, Bechet overwhelmingly dominates the session, whereas with Satchmo on board, things significantly change!

Edited by EKE BBB

7 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

I’ve been on a renewed Byrds kick (I go on one every several years, as with so many artists both pop-rock and jazz) and have rediscovered this early Gene Clark gem: 

Live at Royal Albert Hall is a very good cd; I borrowed it from my local library a few years ago.