jazzbo

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gotta go for Roy Eldridge again

"Dale's wail" (again!) and "Rockin' chair" from disc 1 of the Mosaic box.

Mind you, Roy's take on "Rockin' chair" is, in a way, contradictory to the actual character of the song. Hoagy's version of it is all about resignation. But there's nowt resigned about Roy's playing!

MG

Fats Waller: Sweet and Slow" from Fats Waller - Complete Recorded Works Vol. 3 (JSP)

I confess I only knew "Sweet and Slow" by the Gerry Mulligan Concert Jazz Band. Checking that sleeve note now, I see it does in fact date from 1935, Fats's era.

Fats Waller: Sweet and Slow" from Fats Waller - Complete Recorded Works Vol. 3 (JSP)

I confess I only knew "Sweet and Slow" by the Gerry Mulligan Concert Jazz Band. Checking that sleeve note now, I see it does in fact date from 1935, Fats's era.

I've never heard the Mulligan version. Didn't even know he did it.

I've never heard the Mulligan version. Didn't even know he did it.

I have it on a Verve LP, reissued by the British HMV label, simply called Gerry Mulligan: the Concert Jazz Band. Sleeve note writer, Alun Morgan, says of this track: '"Sweet and Slow" comes from the 1935-vintage musical Broadway Gondolier (music by Harry Warren, lyrics by Al Dubin), a show which contained also "Lulu's Back in Town". In the hands of the Concert Band this takes on a personality as close to Duke Ellington as the Ducal tributes which used to be presented by Charlie Barnet and his orchestra.'

I might change my mind too. . . . I'm stuck on "You've Changed" off the third disc in the Dexter Gordon Mosaic Select.

They start off just supporting Dexter so well as he does such a relaxed and so typically Dexter version. . .then it becomes a fantastic long and exploratory George Cables solo. . .man, it's so nice. .. and then back into a swinging statement from Dexter with the band just propelling him along. Love it!

Dial B For Beauty by Tadd Dameron featuring Clifford Brown. This is one of four Dameron originals recorded June 11, 1953 for Prestige Records. I remember buying it the week it was released. It was on a ten-inch LP titled A Study in Dameronia and was my first exposure to Clifford Brown, Benny Golson and Philly Joe Jones. There's some majestic trumpet playing here and wonderful "arranger's" piano from the leader. How tragic the loss of Clifford Brown at such an early age. Also, I've never been able to understand why Dameron never achieved the acclaim he so richly deserved. I remember in the fifties he was sometimes referred to as "the man who brought beauty to bebop". How true, and his compositions including the lovely Lady Bird and Casbah have become true classics.

Edited by Don Brown

Dial B For Beauty by Tadd Dameron featuring Clifford Brown. This is one of four Dameron originals recorded June 11, 1953 for Prestige Records. I remember buying it the week it was released. It was on a ten-inch LP titled A Study in Dameronia and was my first exposure to Clifford Brown, Benny Golson and Philly Joe Jones. There's some majestic trumpet playing here and wonderful "arranger's" piano from the leader. How tragic the loss of Clifford Brown at such an early age. Also, I've never been able to understand why Dameron never achieved the acclaim he so richly deserved. I remember in the fifties he was sometimes referred to as "the man who brought beauty to bebop". How true, and his compositions including the lovely Lady Bird and Casbah have become true classics.

Beautiful indeed! I have that 10" LP on the British Esquire label and it's a prized possession, though at the age of 13 I couldn't be expected to buy it the week it was released!

Gee Bill, you're just a kid! In June of 1953 I was twenty going on twenty-one (in November). A Study in Dameronia has always been one of my favourite albums and I still don't understand why Tadd Dameron never really received his due from music lovers. His influence is more than obvious on arrangers such as Gigi Gryce and Benny Golson and he wrote pieces that will be played as long is there is a music called jazz.

The very first recording of Bud Freeman's The Eel from an Eddie Condon date in 1933 with Pee Wee, Kaminsky, Sid Catlett, etc. Listening to the very quick first take available on this wonderful disc:

517EwvwGe3L._SS400_.jpg

I have known this music for decades but rediscovered it this week. It brings back lots of memories of Bud, late in his life.