My dad passed away today...

I'm still in shock. I really don't know what to say. His heart has been acting up lately. He was in the yard this afternoon raking leaves and sticks and that's where his wife, my step-mother, found him after she got home from work.

I was supposed to go over there today and he was going to show me how to replace the plastic keys on a piano. He was teaching me his piano business and I have so much to learn. I was really enjoying our time together. Just this Wednesday we went on a service call together and had lunch afterwards and talked about the new organissimo recording. I postponed our get-together today because I had rented a dumpster and was cleaning out the garage and house. I should've went over.

He was only 67. My mom passed in 1997 at the age of 47. I guess they are together now, again... maybe. He inspired and supported me and my musicianship at all times. He bought me synthesizers and Hammond organs even when we barely had any money. He always told me he wanted a Cadillac when I became "rich and famous".

He leaves behind seven children, one step-daughter, three son-in-laws, one daughter-in-law, six grandchildren, and his wife.

I miss him so much already.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim, I'm so sorry to hear this. I know what a great relationship you had with your dad. It's certainly a tough loss to experience, I've been through it myself with both parents.

Thankfully you are surrounded there with people who care and love you, and certainly here too.

Good thoughts and prayers to you and your family, my friend!

Jim, I'm so sorry to hear this. This is exactly how a coworker passed away a few years back, and it's hard because you don't ever get to prepare, to say goodbye, to spend those last precious moments. And if it's that hard with a coworker, it's infinitely impossibly harder with a parent.

I'm no stranger to loss and can say that each day will bring change, for the worse as shock wears off, but for the better. Cherish his memory, and thanks for putting the love out here for us to see. You know you'll get love back.

I'm very thankful I had the priviledge of getting to know him to the extent I did. Always, without exception, enjoyed his company and conversations. I won't be feeling this loss as keenly as Jim or his family, but will I feel it, certainly.

Also glad he was able to find happiness in the decade left to him after his wife passed.

And Jim, let me say now what I was too dumbfounded to say earlier on the phone: I love you and your family as my own; please feel free to call on me for anything over the coming days and weeks. Though, I think I may go north to visit with my parents tomorrow...

Sorry for your lost, my thoughts are with you.

I can relate with the sense of shock you had since i lost my dad in a similar shocking fashion too. Went to work like he did every morning , had an heart attack while working, never recovered and passed away few minutes afterwards. He was 56.