My dad passed away today...

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Word certainly do fail...and it was way too soon. He was such a cool guy! I'm still in shock and disbelief since Joe gave me the news earlier. I only had the opportunity to chat with him on a few occasions, and I can tell from those brief moments what a wonderful person he was. He had such great spirit and love for life. The stories you've told about the sacrifices he made illustrate his character and love for his family.

Echoing what Joe said, it was evident that he had found happiness and fulfillment again after the passing of your mother, and it was wonderful to see that. He and Venetia were so great together; my heart breaks for her. My heart breaks for you and your entire family. Now is the time to lean on each other.

We all love you guys and share in your loss.

Jim, it was almost 2 years ago (already) that my Dad left us and I still think of him when I do something he taught me. You won't forget him.

Like Jack Woker said, going the way your Dad did was better than a long painful disease. That's what I keep telling myself about my Dad's heart attack. I hope you find some solace in that.

Kevin

Jim, my heart goes out to you. I lost my dad almost a decade ago after a protracted illness, and I still miss him.

But you know what? He passed it on, as he should have done. And now it's my turn. It's different being a dad when you're the "old man" in your immediate family, when there's no grandfather left. It's easier to accept your inevitable aging and maturing, and it's also easier to appreciate, and therefore nurture and guide, the beauty and endless potential that resides in youth, which is what a parent should be doing. You're not young any more, they are, and believe me, that is so much...clearer and easier to grasp once you're no longer "somebody's kid".

It hurts, I know. And like I said, you never stop feeling the loss (at least I haven't yet). But this is life, and as live is prone to do, when it takes something from you, it gives you the opportunity to get something else.

So here's to the life of somebody who appears to have been a great father, and here's also to somebody who will now no doubt pick up that torch and run with it like a champion.