"Jazz" albums by "Pop" Singers

Teasing the Korean

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

the new bobbie genrty box theyre talking about on steve hoffman forum apparently includes an unreleased Bobbie jazz album

Wow!  I have that set, but haven't opened it yet.  That's something to look forward to.

At this point, I'd say Willie Nelson is almost more of a jazz singer than he is a country singer.

Bought this one after it was mentioned somewhere around here:

R-9499825-1481753418-3584.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Rickie-Lee-Jones-Pop-Pop/release/9499825

I always regretted that she never recorded a whole album with Benny Carter arrangements - just a few tracks on this album:

R-2222250-1271028133.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Maria-Muldaur-Waitress-In-The-Donut-Shop/master/239012

Edited by mikeweil

Hadn't noticed this thread before (or canot recall it), but here's one for European forumusts (or those who have an awareness for this kind of acts).

Perennial pop singer NANA MOUSKOURI did a jazz-flavored album produced by Quincy Jones in 1962 (when she had already made a name for herself in pop circles). I haven't heard it but have read appreciative things about it. Her treatment of these standards seems to have turned the "American Songbook" into a sort of "French Songbook".

Lest the usual suspects :D throw in evermore Youtube clips, here is one right away:

She did another album in a somewhat similar vein with an orchestra conducted by Bobby Scott in 1965.

On 11/18/2018 at 4:55 PM, JSngry said:

That's an entertainable notion. Any word on who arranged it?

I did not see any credit for arrangements on the "jazz album" tracks -- an odd omission since the extensive liner notes essay by Andrew Batt includes a lot of other details; for example, did you know Ms. Gentry was a part owner of the Phoenix Suns?  They are bare bones recordings with Ms. Gentry accompanied by just guitar, bass and maybe piano and drums on some tracks.  I guess strings would have been overdubbed had the project not been abandoned.  She sounds quite good on "Save Your Love For Me" and "Stormy" (which also has a nice guitar solo, but I don't know if it's by her or by whom), but "Here's That Rainy Day" just plods along.  "The Windows of The World" is probably my favorite Bacharach/David song and it still sounds gorgeous in this stark setting of just voice and guitar.

On 17/11/2018 at 7:26 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

Bumping this old thread of mine.  I finally got around to picking up the Doris Day with Andre Previn album.  It is indeed very good, and I also like the fact that the song selection is a little bit unusual.  "Nobody's Heart" by Rodgers and Heart is such a great tune, and it is not recorded often.  

Doris Day is my favourite female singer. She's always truthful and immediate, if you know what I mean.

Not sure what the "pabulum" remark elsewhere refers to. Most of her recordings are standards with classy pop arrangements. Her material was more consistently good than, say, Perry Como's.

23 hours ago, duaneiac said:

"The Windows of The World" is probably my favorite Bacharach/David song and it still sounds gorgeous in this stark setting of just voice and guitar.

That's a beautiful composition, most stunning anti-Vietnam War song imaginable.  Would love to hear Gentry's version, and I treasure Warwick's, and Scott Walker's.

The windows of the world are covered with rain
Where is the sunshine we once knew?
Everybody knows when little children play
They need a sunny day to grow straight and tall
Let the sun shine through
When will those black skies turn to blue?
Everybody knows when boys grow into men
They start to wonder when their country will call
What is the whole world coming to?
Everybody knows when men can not be friends
Their quarrel often ends where some have to die
There must be something we can do
Everybody knows whenever rain appears
It's really angel tears
How long must they cry?

I loved the Steve Miller album "Born 2 Be Blue", despite the synth strings, and glossy production by Ben Sidran, It featured Milt Jackson and Phil Woods.

Miller took songs like "Willow Weep For Me", "Mary Anne" (Ray Charles), "When Sunny Gets Blue", and Born To Be Blue, and used his natural, bluesy falsetto to make the songs his own, like Kenny Rankin, another great cross-over artist in this style.

This kind of approach can go horribly wrong in the hands of someone like Sting, whose attempt to sing "My Funny Valentine" has left me severely traumatized for life. 

No amount of talk therapy, ECT treatments, and powerful psychotropic drugs can erase an experience like that, and I'm trying to spare you the horror of PTSD (Post Traumatic Sting Disorder), before it's ruined your life, as it's done mine...:alien:

1 hour ago, GA Russell said:

No one has mentioned Nat Cole yet.  Steve Allen defined a jazz singer to be either one who sings jazz or one who sings in front of a jazz band.  

I therefore offer for your consideration that his vocals with the King Cole Trio were jazz vocals, though few Americans remember him as a jazz singer.

I think of him as a jazz singer who later made pop albums.  He died around the time I started listening to music, my mother loved "Ramblin' Rose", and I dismissed him for decades based on that and "Lazy Hazy Days of Summer".  Then I heard the trio stuff and thought/think it was fabulous, and that (re)defined him for me

On November 20, 2018 at 6:16 PM, GA Russell said:

No one has mentioned Nat Cole yet.  Steve Allen defined a jazz singer to be either one who sings jazz or one who sings in front of a jazz band.  

I therefore offer for your consideration that his vocals with the King Cole Trio were jazz vocals, though few Americans remember him as a jazz singer.

I don't want to limit the discussion, but I was trying to differentiate between singers like Nat (and Frank, Tony, Peggy, Julie, et al) who recorded lots of stuff in a jazz or jazzy vein, regardless of whether you consider them "jazz" or "pop" singers.  Personally, I would consider Nat to be a jazz artist who went pop.