*** John Scofield ***

Aggie87

Sco and John Medeski will be playing some dates as part of Phil Lesh and Friends:

Lesh.net

Some of the best "jam band" playing I've heard was from the 2006 Phil Lesh and Friends tour (all dates were released on CD). The band had Scofield and Larry Campbell on guitars (along with Joan Osborne on vocals). I was a Scofield fan before, but I was surprised how well he fit into the jam band format, playing mostly Grateful Dead stuff. The interaction between Scofield and Campbell was pretty amazing given they had only been playing together for a matter of weeks. The way that they would solo together without stepping on each other made it sound like they had been together for years.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Just finished listening to Country For Old Men.  Sco is back in my good graces.  Excellent album, basically treating country standards as Great American Songbook standards and using them as jazz starting points.  He's been playing with these guys for so long (Goldings, Swallow, Stewart) that they jell much like the classic quartet of Coltrane's.  Sound quality is excellent - you feel like you're in the room with them, and I don't think Sco's guitar has ever been captured with this level of sensitivity and nuance.  I really enjoyed this.

I've been spinning a Phil Lesh & Friends cd set from Tampa, 6/23/06.  Features Sco, with Joan Osborne singing. A few nice jams on it, and a cover of "Gimme Shelter". 

Nice complement to the Lesh/Warfield set that was released commercially (well I guess the Tampa set is too, on the Instant Live cds or whatever they are).  Will have to seek out a few of the other Lesh/Scofield dates.

Edited by Aggie87

• 5 months later...
On 3/27/2003 at 10:01 AM, Aggie87 said:

My daughter goes to German kindergarten, so she's just starting to pick up a little German language, which is the perfect age to start learning a second language, IMO.

....amazing to realize how long this website has been a part of my life.  My daughter is now about to start her sophomore year of college.  She and I just watched a wonderful film together this evening ("Lion", with Dev Patel).  

Anyway, thought I'd share a concert recording of Scofield's "Quiet and Loud Jazz" show from the JALC.  First half is material from his Quiet album, with Joe Lovano, Bill Stewart, Larry Grenadier, and horns.  The second half is the Loud Jazz band, with Dennis Chambers, Gary Grainger, and Jim Beard.  Good show!

http://www.npr.org/event/music/539549653/john-scofield-performs-quiet-and-loud-jazz?utm_campaign=storyshare&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

Edited by Aggie87

15 hours ago, Aggie87 said:

....amazing to realize how long this website has been a part of my life.  My daughter is now about to start her sophomore year of college.  She and I just watched a wonderful film together this evening ("Lion", with Dev Patel).  

Great movie!

Aggie87,

Thanks so much for posting this.  When I first heard Sco's Gramavision band as a teenager, I was hooked.  I never thought there would be another opportunity to hear them live.  Imagine my disappointment when I realized that I'd be in CA for this gig.  Fortunately, JALC livestreams all their concerts on Livestream (where else) and got to watch it that way.  So glad there is another documented version of this show out in the public domain.

And btw, Rice '91.

Cheers!

1 hour ago, disaac said:

Aggie87,

Thanks so much for posting this.  When I first heard Sco's Gramavision band as a teenager, I was hooked.  I never thought there would be another opportunity to hear them live.  Imagine my disappointment when I realized that I'd be in CA for this gig.  Fortunately, JALC livestreams all their concerts on Livestream (where else) and got to watch it that way.  So glad there is another documented version of this show out in the public domain.

And btw, Rice '91.

Cheers!

Glad you enjoyed it!  I enjoyed the second half of the show more than the first.  That band is great - would be interesting to see if they ever recorded again (I don't think Beard ever played on a Scofield album, actually, despite touring with him), now that they've done this.  Dennis Chambers has toured with Scofield recently, on the uberjam dates they just completed in Europe.  So who knows, it could happen.

Happy to see an Owl on the board as well.  I always loved when Rice played A&M in football - any chance to see the MOB was a good day!  

PS - BFrank - I still like ya, buddy.  

8 hours ago, Aggie87 said:

Glad you enjoyed it!  I enjoyed the second half of the show more than the first.  That band is great - would be interesting to see if they ever recorded again (I don't think Beard ever played on a Scofield album, actually, despite touring with him), now that they've done this.  Dennis Chambers has toured with Scofield recently, on the uberjam dates they just completed in Europe.  So who knows, it could happen.

Happy to see an Owl on the board as well.  I always loved when Rice played A&M in football - any chance to see the MOB was a good day!  

PS - BFrank - I still like ya, buddy.  

Awwwwwwwww ... THANKS, man! ;)

• 2 years later...