*** John Scofield ***

Aggie87

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought Paris's best friend was Lionel Richie's daughter? Or are they splitville these days? Anyhow, what bigotry has the dumb bunny engaged in? Whatever it is, I probably wont be surprised. She doesn't strike me as the sharpest tool in the shed.

Still wondering how Mayer and Sco did together...

How old is Mayer anyway? Isn't he like in his early twenties? Not that it matters.

Just seems like a lot going on for a young cat.

• 1 month later...

Listened to "That's What I Say" a few more times recently. I'm still mixed on this one. It's fun to listen to, but not really a Scofield album. Might have been more interesting if it had been all instrumental, no vocalists involved. The vocal tracks aren't bad at all, just gives it a "various artists tribute" feel, instead of a cohesive album.

I guess whether this one was pushed on him by the honchos or not, at least Scofield is still trying different things with each release. Gotta give him some props for that.

...did I mention it's a fun album? <_< Looking forward to the next real Scofield album.

• 4 weeks later...

up - Marc Johnson has a new ECM release on 13 September, titled "Shades of Jade".

600453.jpg

Personnel: Marc Johnson (double bass); John Scofield (guitar); Eliane Elias (piano); Alain Mallet (organ); Joey Baron (drums)

Looking forward to this, as I've enjoyed Johnson's "Bass Desires" and "Second Sight" quite a bit (as well as "Sound of Summer Rising, tho Sco wasn't on that one).

Reportedly, Paris Hilton is also racist againt African Americans ... do you think that's hot ?

If it was true, no. I was joking with the, "that's hot." I can't stand her either. I don't know if she's racist.

Oh, sorry man! I was in some kind of evil mood when I wrote that. Of course, it is and should just be one giant joke ! That's the only way you can deal with it day-to-day. Apologies.

My politics are kinda radical and I see things maybe other people don't see and maybe even things that aren't there.

For example, I see many segments of the major American entertainment media addicting the susceptible and impressionable youth of other cultures to shallow soulless crap. Maybe it's ok for our youth, 'cause the kids are all immune to it by maybe the age of 12. But in other cultures there is much more homogeneity and shared values, and these value-sets are necessary to survival in conditions much harsher than those in which we live.

I see someone like Paris Hilton as being maybe the worst example today of Hollywood's profit-motivated perversion of foreign cultures. She is buying her way to the top of this bullshit pyramid because she thinks that that's what life is all about -- getting the world's attention for meaningless sexual exploits.

And I connect all of this very directly to terrorism. Of course they want to kill us. Wipe us out to the last man. The radical Muslim element is, in many ways, completely insane. But in one way they are quite sane: they are defenseless against their culture being polluted, perverted, and decimated by Hollywood clowns. Having no opportunities for any sort of decent life, they figure why not go out proud and blow up as many of us up as possible in the process.

I wish every artist with a incredible committment to the true human spirit, a genius and incredible human being like Sco, clearly saw this connection the way I see it, and saw how you just can't mix the two together in any manner because these people really are the enemy and by even being in the same room or media segment with them you are inadvertently legitimizing their twisted shit in a certain manner.

But that's just my opinion and I don't really expect anyone to see things the way I do. At least not now. Maybe in 10 years.

• 1 month later...

Upcoming Dates on the "Ray Charles Project" tour:

October:

06 - 07 Cambridge, MA Regattabar

08 San Antonio, TX Trinity University

09 Austin, TX Antones

11 Falls Church, VA State Theatre

12 Newmarket, NH The Stone Church

13 Montreal, Quebec Le Spectrum

14 Toronto Phoenix Concert Theatre

15 Ottawa Casina du Lac-Leamy Theatre

17 Evanston, IL Northwestern University

18 - 19 Indianapolis, IN Jazz Kitchen

20 Grand Rapids, MI Intersection

21 Detroit, MI Majestic Theatre

27 Santa Cruz, CA Kuumbwa

28 San Francisco, CA SF Jazz Festival

The band is:

Meyer Statham-Vocals and Trombone

John Benitez-Bass

Gary Versace-Hammond B3 and Wurlitzer

Steve Hass-Drums

Anybody going to any of these shows? I'm going to try and get back up to Austin to see the show at Antone's, and looking forward to it.

My last Sco show was in 2000 (or maybe early 01) just before "Works for Me" came out, so it was the Bump tour.

Made it up to Austin for the Scofield gig last night at Antone's.

For anyone considering going to a show on this tour, go for it! The Ray Charles tribute was alot of fun. Not a straight-ahead gig by any means, the show (much like the album) had people dancing and grooving around the club all night long.

Highlights for me were a beautiful version of "Georgia on my Mind" and "I can't stop loving you". Scofield was in fine form, even though there were technical difficulties on the intro song, "Talkin' Bout You/I got a Woman"...to the point where he stopped the band, they all left the stage until things were fixed, then came back and resumed mid-song. Sco grooved all night, and coaxed some amazing sounds out of his guitar more than a few times.

The band was great - Meyer Statham sang the tunes with vocals from the CD, and also played trombone occasionally. He's a fine singer, and sang the heck out of Ray's songs. Gary Versace was great on B-3 and Wurlitzer. He traded licks a few times with Sco, and it was clear they were having fun together. John Benitez on bass was a fine player as well, not active or showy, but a solid player. The guy standing next to me at the bar (more on him later) said Benitez is a Grammy winner. Not sure from what, but I'll have to check him out. And Steve Hass was solid on drums - he was clearly having a good time as well.

After the last song, the band came out for an encore, and brought suprise guest Ivan Neville out on stage with them. They played "Night Time is the Right Time", and really grooved out. Ivan was enjoying being up there on stage with the band and added a nice touch to the song.

Back to the guy at the bar - he had brought a guitar case in with him and was standing there with it. We made small talk for a while, and I finally asked him about the guitar. He said it was Sco's very first electric guitar, from when he was a teenager, and that John had sold it to the bass player in his first band way back when. That bass player had given it to the guy at the bar, and he brought it with him to the show for Sco to check out. Well, after the performance was over, Sco came out, and started talking with this guy in great detail about the guitar (looked like a Strat of some sort...didn't get a good look at it). He then plugged it in and played on it for a bit, just noodling around. You could tell he was enjoying seeing it and playing it again after all that time (35+ yrs?).

I talked with Sco a bit, as well as Ivan Neville and the band. John was kind enough to sign the picture that Mark Sheldon had taken of him last year at the Indy Jazz Fest, on the matte. It looks great, and will be re-framed and proudly displayed once again! Thanks again, Mark! :tup

A great night of music for me, and alot of fun! Would love to meet up with some of the TX boardmembers for a show in Austin some day.

• 2 months later...

Christmas time brought two nice music items to me. One was the Miles Cellar Door box, and the other is John Scofield's "Bar Talk" on cd. I finally nabbed this from ebay (paid more than I'd like to have, but less than I originally was planning to pay (former Org member Grey had tentatively found a copy for me a while back, just before he passed). This was only released on cd in Japan, to the best of my knowledge.

BarTalk.jpg

This was the last Sco leader date on CD that I'd been looking for, so now my collection is complete. Kinda bittersweet, but an accomplishment of sorts. It's a nice trio date with Swallow & Nussbaum, by the way.

Christmas time brought two nice music items to me. One was the Miles Cellar Door box, and the other is John Scofield's "Bar Talk" on cd. I finally nabbed this from ebay (paid more than I'd like to have, but less than I originally was planning to pay (former Org member Grey had tentatively found a copy for me a while back, just before he passed). This was only released on cd in Japan, to the best of my knowledge.

BarTalk.jpg

This was the last Sco leader date on CD that I'd been looking for, so now my collection is complete. Kinda bittersweet, but an accomplishment of sorts. It's a nice trio date with Swallow & Nussbaum, by the way.

Great pick-up, Erik!!! :tup

• 4 weeks later...

Another note - due in 2006 is "Lifetime and Beyond", a Tony Williams celebration, featuring Scofield, Jack DeJohnette, and Larry Goldings. :tup

From the ECM site:

DeJohnette/Scofield/Goldings Trio Beyond

A joyful salute from one great drummer to another, as Jack DeJohnette pays tribute to the life, work and memory of Tony Williams, the man he replaced, in 1969, in the Miles Davis group. Repertoire played by the trio of DeJohnette, Scofield and Goldings includes compositions by John Coltrane, Joe Henderson, Larry Young and John McLaughlin, as well as Williams himself. These pieces were all stepping stones in Williams’ musical development during his tenure with Miles and afterwards, and the drums-organ-guitar line-up of the band heard here – in a tempestuous live recording from London – echoes that of the seminally important Tony Williams Lifetime.

ECM 1972/73 Release date: June 9th.

:excited:

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting news from the MMW website:

Medeski Martin & Wood and John Scofield have teamed up again. The guys recently completed recording at MMW's Shacklyn Studios in Brooklyn, NY. This quartet last recorded together on John Scofield's "A Go Go" (Verve) in 1998. The album is slated to be the first release on MMW's new self-owned independent record label. More details coming soon - look for this release in the Fall.

Pure guess on my part, but I bet this is an MMW release this time around. Also does this mean MMW is no longer on BN?

Edited by Aggie87

Interesting news from the MMW website:

Medeski Martin & Wood and John Scofield have teamed up again. The guys recently completed recording at MMW's Shacklyn Studios in Brooklyn, NY. This quartet last recorded together on John Scofield's "A Go Go" (Verve) in 1998. The album is slated to be the first release on MMW's new self-owned independent record label. More details coming soon - look for this release in the Fall.

Pure guess on my part, but I bet this is an MMW release this time around. Also does this mean MMW is no longer on BN?

Whoooaah! Another MMW collab is exciting news. But I don't see any mention on John's site.

But once this Ray Charles tribute is finishes up, check out John's Spring/Summer 06 touring schedule : KILLIN' !

I wonder why no bass in the Goldings DeJohnnette group (Holland would make it the same monster combination as Tony Williams tribute band). Holland's website shows an itinerary through end of Jan 06 only, but I've heard the Williams tribute band will resurface, so possibly, just possibly, it hasn't yet been officially announced yet that Holland will be on those dates. Anyone know?

APRIL 2006

John Scofield and The April Band Featuring Eddie Henderson, Bill Stewart and Dennis Irwin

Date City Venue

12 - 16 Oakland, CA Yoshi's

19 - 23 Los Angeles, CA Catalina's

MAY 2006

Trio Beyond with Jack DeJohnette and Larry Goldings

Date City Venue

26 Coutances, France --

JUNE 2006

John Scofield - Trio Beyond (unless otherwise indicated)

Date City Venue

02 Moers, Germany w. Bugge Wesseltoft

03 Bergen, Norway w. Bugge Wesseltoft

29 Udine, Italy --

30 Ljubljana, Slovenia --

JULY 2006

Trio Beyond TOUR EUROPE (TBA)

I wonder why no bass in the Goldings DeJohnnette group (Holland would make it the same monster combination as Tony Williams tribute band). Holland's website shows an itinerary through end of Jan 06 only, but I've heard the Williams tribute band will resurface, so possibly, just possibly, it hasn't yet been officially announced yet that Holland will be on those dates. Anyone know?

It's an organ trio, dude!

It's an organ trio, dude!

I've heard from a pretty plugged-in dude that the Sco,Holland,DeJohnnette,Goldings band will be back. I think they've got one in the can comin' out soon ... and another tour is in the works. Don't rule it out.

My guess is that your friend is referring to the upcoming DeJohnette/Scofield/Goldings "Trio Beyond" release that 7/4 mentioned earlier in this thread. No Holland on this. It's due out on 9 June. I think I remember seeing tour dates for this group on Sco's website, but it's been down for a while (at least I can't get there).

My guess is that your friend is referring to the upcoming DeJohnette/Scofield/Goldings "Trio Beyond" release that 7/4 mentioned earlier in this thread. No Holland on this. It's due out on 9 June. I think I remember seeing tour dates for this group on Sco's website, but it's been down for a while (at least I can't get there).

Now you got me thinkin' I was on the pipe those nights at Yoshis.

No ... it was a quartet. Holland was definitely there. Nah, you can't miss a fearsome bearded dude playin' a big acoustic bass so intensely it's gonna snap.

Anybody remember those shows?

Sco was on fire so bad extinguishers were in hand ...

Edited by johnagrandy

• 5 months later...

bump...

If anyone is interested in the rare, 2 disc version of "Pick Hits Live", there is a copy on ebay at the moment. This one came out in Japan only, and doesn't pop up very often. I'm not the seller, but have a copy already. This one is being offered in the U.S. only...

bump...

If anyone is interested in the rare, 2 disc version of "Pick Hits Live", there is a copy on ebay at the moment. This one came out in Japan only, and doesn't pop up very often. I'm not the seller, but have a copy already. This one is being offered in the U.S. only...

Aggie- who else is in the quartet besides Sco and Tain?