100 Essential Jazz Albums in the New Yorker

There are some good choices on the list (Tristano's Intuition was a nice touch), but yeah, 100 doesn't even scratch the proverbial surface.

I'll say! That's an album I come back to time & again as it's good, not one of those that's good for you. Plus you get some Marsh & Konitz into the list.

I thought it was "interesting" to pick Mingus at the Bohemia > The Black Saint & The Sinner Lady. And like you say (though I edited it out), the McLean choice seemed different too. Sonny Meets The Hawk kinda surprised me too, not that there's anything wrong with it. I give the guy points for not including Sketches of Spain. :lol: Sorry to its fans - I just get so sick of seeing collections of people with only 4 jazz albums and seeing Kind Of Blue & Sketches of Spain representing half the collection.

100 is a small number so there are many painful cuts that have to made, so I don't get too worked up about these things anymore. It was a little refreshing to not see all of the usual picks on the list.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean, what the fuck. I couldn't even compile a best of 2007 list. There were a number of really good/great records last year, but nothing inspiring a list for me. Plus, some of the best ones I didn't even hear until December/January/February and I'm sure there are still more fantastic dates from last year that I have YET to hear.

I don't think I could even give you a "top ten" of all time. I could list ten records I really like and a few that "should be" cornerstones of this music, but... does anyone really care? Not to mention that a few of what I deem "essential" aren't even in-print on CD or never were in that format.

You have to remember that these types of lists are opinion based. That's all they are.

I remember I was on another forum might have been jazzreview.com, anyway these people were listing their "Top !0 Greatest Jazz Albums Of All-Time," which is really crazy. My jazz collection is so good that I can blindfold myself and just go pick-up an album and it's great, so for me it would incredibly hard to pick a top 10.

Edited by bluemonk

If you want to come as close to understanding what this music is about, it's going to take more than 100 records for sure.

Agreed, though it's probably just as well that the new initiates and just plain curious don't know that at first.

I mean, heck, if someone had told me when I was 18 "You are eventually going to own thousands of jazz albums," I'd have said "What the fuck??"

Edited by BruceH

If you want to come as close to understanding what this music is about, it's going to take more than 100 records for sure.

Agreed, though it's probably just as well that the new initiates and just plain curious don't know that at first.

I mean, heck, if someone had told me when I was 18 "You are eventually going to own thousands of jazz albums," I'd have said "What the fuck??"

That's the beauty of jazz isn't it? It gets a hold of you. It's pretty bad when you have to loan money from a bank just so you can buy more jazz cds! :)

Edited by bluemonk