Oscar Peterson Verve Trio Mosaic set on the horizon

Good for you!

I don't think everyone wants his entire catalog and many of us don't do lps these days. :)

Hey, I'm not incredibly excited by this set, but I can see why Mosaic wants to do it and I think it will be as successful as their other Verve sets.

• 5 weeks later...

Mosaic's Scott Wenzel told me the box is expected to come out in August or September 2008.

Mosaic's upcoming releases - scroll down for the Peterson box:

"Coming up in the era he did, Oscar Peterson fell somewhere in between the swing players and the be-boppers, and the two strains wove together into something he never felt any reason to abandon. He and Ray Brown had developed an almost brotherly relationship thanks to the JATP tours they did together, and in Barney Kessel he found another player whose solos could wipe the floor, the walls, and the ceiling. With the JATP tours combined with these Clef and Mercury recordings the trio found the time and opportunity to hone their craft together and become a tight unit. Norman Granz’ vision of the “Songbook” album, was perfected by the trio and the series of “Oscar Peterson Meets…” have long been unavailable and are finally in one package.

The collection includes 127 tunes, including five alternate masters that have never appeared on any record, in any format. The earliest recording dates from November 25, 1951 and the last is from December 7, 1953. In the interest of being complete, we amassed a collection that exceeds even the one held in the Universal Music vaults; with some original masters missing entirely, we went to collectors for vintage 78s, second generation tapes, even rare LPs and EPs, performing sonic miracles when necessary to achieve a quality that meets our Mosaic standards."