Anchor Sue Simmons drops the F-bomb

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for previous "vulgar" outbursts on the NYC airwaves, wasn't there a time in the 80s when Tom Snyder was doing the news and didn't realize he was on camera when someone off-camera said or did something and he flipped him the bird? I have a strong memory of that happening but was surprised it didn't merit a mention in the reporting of Simmons' mistake.

Yeah, but only three of us watched the show regularly, so.... :lol:

Given how often news reporters are live-on-air (several times a day on several different channels in just about every major and minor city in the nation) and given the frenzied, high-pressured environment of a tv studio... I'm surprised these open-mic slip-ups don't happen much more frequently.

Either Sue Simmons has amazing genes or a great plastic surgeon to be 64 and look like she's around 45.

As for previous "vulgar" outbursts on the NYC airwaves, wasn't there a time in the 80s when Tom Snyder was doing the news and didn't realize he was on camera when someone off-camera said or did something and he flipped him the bird? I have a strong memory of that happening but was surprised it didn't merit a mention in the reporting of Simmons' mistake.

:o

Must be the magic of You Tube, or your eyes. ;)

I'm not saying she looks bad, but she ain't anywhere close to looking 45.

Either Sue Simmons has amazing genes or a great plastic surgeon to be 64 and look like she's around 45.

:o

Must be the magic of You Tube, or your eyes. ;)

I'm not saying she looks bad, but she ain't anywhere close to looking 45.

Something like that. Put it this way - she doesn't look a lot different from when I was watching her five days a week, and that was 15 years ago.

As usual the NY Post gets to the bottom of the story:

Salty Sue Simmons, who shocked Channel 4 viewers with a four-letter tirade, is famous for her liquid dinners between broadcasts, potty mouth and zany behavior, former co-workers told The Post yesterday.

Simmons delivered a jaw-dropping f-bomb Monday night as she read a teaser for her 11 p.m. newscast, prompting an on-air apology from the veteran anchor a half-hour later.

The incident didn't stun some former colleagues.

"Sue Simmons likes the sauce and she can be cranky about it," a former WNBC employee told The Post. "She was sometimes a little tipsy [on the air] to the point where colleagues would take notice."

Simmons anchors Channel 4's 5 p.m. newscast, and then has time to pass until 11 p.m.

Those hours are regularly spent at Midtown watering holes like Gallagher's steakhouse and Jean Georges, witnesses said.

"I wouldn't say she gets sloshed - sloshed, that wouldn't be the right word," a Gallagher's employee said, gesturing to the back booths where Simmons typically takes her between-show breaks.

"I would say she gets happy. She gets very happy."

An employee at Jean Georges at Columbus Circle said Simmons isn't shy about drinking with her meals - and then heading back to work.

"She's been here and she's had drinks with her dinner," a Jean Georges employee said. "She's had a cocktail or two, yes, between shows, with dinner."

The sometimes tipsy news anchor became an overnight Web-video sensation, thanks to a tease she read for Monday's news.

Simmons told viewers to watch at 11 for a story about rising food costs.

The screen had been rolling stock footage of groceries, before turning to a cruise boat. Simmons flipped out and shouted: "What the f- - - are you doing?"

The 28-year WNBC vet is famous for her goofball, on-air behavior.

She's been known to make funny faces, feign sleep, double over in laughter and poke fun at strait-laced co-anchor Chuck Scarborough.

Simmons' publicist declined to comment on her behalf and Simmons did not return e-mails. A WNBC spokeswoman declined to comment, and said she wouldn't discuss company policies about alcohol.

Another former WNBC employee said Simmons - famous for her "mischievous" studio behavior - might have believed she was off air and was joking with Scarborough.

"My impression was that she was directing it at Chuck, thinking it was his gaffe for not reading," the ex-employee said.

Several former Channel 4 employees, who praised Simmons' offbeat personality, said the anchor is famous for sailor-like swearing.

Simmons' meltdown was likened to former Channel 2 reporter Arthur Chi'en, who was dumped in 2005 after dropping an f-bomb on live TV.

"I feel for her, as someone who has gone down that path," said Chi'en, who hopes Simmons isn't axed.

Additional reporting

by Braden Keil

david.li@nypost.com

It was after 9pm? Get the fuck over it.

Technically, FCC-wise, the time doesn't matter. Besides, who needs to get over what? All reports I've read/seen so far have been laughing at the gaff, not calling for her head.

Michigan board members will certainly remember the bad boy king of broadcast news in Detroit - Bill Bonds.

He was well known for unscripted on-air outbursts, though usually alcohol fuelled. I am pretty sure he challenged then mayor Coleman Young to a fist-fight while on live TV. He was always making some editorial to the local news, which was a certainly refreshing approach.

I also saw him several times crying during his newscast. But what a character!

Youtube has a clip, though never aired on TV, of what it was like to try and work with him just doing a 30 second news promo. It is a bit grainy at first, but stay with it - it's a classic

Youtube has a clip, though never aired on TV, of what it was like to try and work with him just doing a 30 second news promo. It is a bit grainy at first, but stay with it - it's a classic

WHOA!

That's actually cool!

Fucked up, but still cool.

No wonder he was in Detroit!