MPS Reissues - More Box Sets from Universal

king ubu

I'm quite certain those Mangelsdorff boxes will be reissued soon, and in quite inexpensive editions too.

SOURCE:  Just this morning I paid almost $70 for a used copy of the first 5CD box (Originals Vol 1), being sent to me from the UK.  Saw it for 35€ on Discogs about a week ago, and even with 15€ shipping -- I couldn't say no.

Mark my word.  But no regrets.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Same here .... btw where is Billy Harper "Trying To Make Heaven My Home" as quality CD reissue ....

Yeah, really!  Lots of titles from that label I'd like to see on CD, but the Harper and the Peterson top the list for sure.

48 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Joss sticks and lava lamps out for that ‘Cosmic Forest’ set !

I'm planning to get that one, for sure!  I sampled all of it a few days ago (the whole thing is on YouTube as a playlist), trying to decide whether to just get it (only) for the lengthy title-track to the Manglesdorff album "Never Let It End" (almost 10 minutes).  And even though I did end up ponying up for the entire 5-disc Manglesdorff Originals 1 box -- I still think the "Cosmic Forest" should be right up my alley.

I've found that a fair number of these Spiritual Jazz multi-artist type comps are really a wonderful way to sample a lot of great material, without taking the plunge on full-length CD's that I'm not entirely sure about (or to pick up the best tracks from any number of albums that haven't ever seen any CD issue at all, even).

After browsing through their new website https://www.mps-music.com/ I understand that they have reissued their whole catalogue in digital form - links to amazon etc, can be reached through the links to individual albums found on the "releases" page. It could be that only part of the catalogue will be reissued on LP and/or CD.

The catalogue doesn't seem complete to me - some Clarke-Boland albums are missing, as are all the releases on the Session sub-label.