Favorite Philip K. Dick novel?

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I acquired a used 1st edition hardcover of "Radio Free Albemuth" from a used bookstore not too long ago. I probably won't get to reading it for a while though, as I'm trying to read his books chronologically. "Now Wait For Last Year" is next in the queue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I love the non SF novels Dick poured so much of himself into in the fifties, and this is one of the best-written of those. It is bleak and in ways depressing. This to me is a testament to his writing skills, because the situations and characters are not hapy and not going to happy places.

Thanks! I'll pick this one up eventually. A used bookstore up by Wrigley Field had brand new hardcover copies of "Humpty Dumpty in Oakland" for just $5. Its the same publisher that's been releasing these non-sci fi PKD novels over the past few years. I'm glad they're seeing the light of day again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

If you can find a used copy of the Ballantine/Del Rey "The Best of Philip K. Dick" from 1978, that really is an excellent overview of his short work.

I've been dipping into this one over the last month or so. It's a very good selection; the stories hold up well. I'm about 3/4 through.

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) – The production company behind the Sandra Bullock hit "The Blind Side" is looking to bring the world of "Blade Runner" back to the big screen.

Yahoo News

There's something wrong with this idea. That film should be left alone - no sequel or prequel, especially 30 yrs after the fact.

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) – The production company behind the Sandra Bullock hit "The Blind Side" is looking to bring the world of "Blade Runner" back to the big screen.

Yahoo News

There's something wrong with this idea. That film should be left alone - no sequel or prequel, especially 30 yrs after the fact.

Nah, I welcome a prequel and sequel. That's just me I guess, but I bet there are others.

Yahoo News

Nah, I welcome a prequel and sequel. That's just me I guess, but I bet there are others.

Maybe if the story were based on a book that Dick wrote, but that was a standalone work, wasn't it?

The just released The Adjustment Bureau is an adaptation of one of PKD's stories. No idea how faithful it is. From what I've seen, it looks like it borrows more from the ideas behind Dark City, though not the look or feel of that film. Of course, Dark City may well have originally been inspired by PKD, though I don't think it was a pure adaptation.

Yahoo News

The weird thing is that the world of the movie is so very different from the actual book that you would be hard pressed to draw from it for either a prequel or sequel. A direct sequel would be the very worst. The only thing people care about are whether the girl is going to die within a year or two or not. And you'd also have to be far more clear about Dekker and his lifespan. No one would want to see anyone other than Ford playing Dekker in a sequel, and I doubt Ford is interested. Even if he were, you'd have your answer right away (I guess they could Tronify him like they did to Bridges).

A prequel might be more interesting, but really, it's hard to see what needs to be explored to get us to that dystopia, unless they wanted to focus on the company that made the replicants.

This exchange was kind of funny:

Because decades-later follow-ups to beloved classics always turn out GREAT.

Oh Yeah! & Justin Bieber can play Decker! It’s PERFECT.

I threw up in my mouth a little when I read that, but it is probably the best case scenario, given how bad most Hollywood movies are now. Seeing Bieber emerge from the replicant nutrient pool and being force-fed a ton of memories (maybe in a Dark City-style montage) would explain a lot.

Well, Jeter wrote three sequels to Blade Runner (the movie) that were at least okay. . . . I think it would be very interesting to see both a sequel and a prequel, they don't have to be tied to Do Androids Believe in Electric Sheep in any tighter a fashion than the original movie was as I really think the novel and movie are so different as to be hard to compare and contrast. I hope these come to fruition. I like Blade Runner a lot, but I don't think it's "untouchable" etc.

Maybe if the story were based on a book that Dick wrote, but that was a standalone work, wasn't it?

Well, Blade Runner is in ways a loose adaptation of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, there are key plot elements of the book completely absent from the film, and the tone in my opinion of the movie is very different from the novel.

I think it's perfectly acceptable as Jeter has done to base a novel or film on the MOVIE. I would have gone a very different route with the material than Jeter did, and I suspect that these new developers will as well.