Jimmy Smith Questions

Matthew

4. Smith Walk

5. Lonesome Road (Austin/Shilkret)

were recorded June 13, 1960, the only pieces recorded on that date. In the US they were included as bonus tracks of Prayer Meetin', which otherwise has the February 8, 1963 session.

The Tom Lord discography also lists an unissued 'Organic Greenery' track as a thurd side from that session (Stanley Turrentine, Quentin Warren, Donald Bailey).

Sam Jones who was on bass on the two other sides was out on that one.

The "Baby Grand" albums are only on Japanese CDs, to the best of my knowledge.

"Organic Greenery" is on the "I'm Movin' On" CD, which I have. It is not from the Turrentine sessions. It is from that 1963 session with Grant Green. It should be pointed out that the "Special Guests" LP was a compilation.

"Organic Greenery" is on the "I'm Movin' On" CD, which I have. It is not from the Turrentine sessions. It is from that 1963 session with Grant Green. It should be pointed out that the "Special Guests" LP was a compilation.

Blasphemy! The Lord says there was an unissued 'Organic Greenery' recorded at the June 13, 1960 session. So does the Ruppli-Cuscuna BN Label discography which lists the tune as rejected.

The tune was redone at the Smith-Green-Bailey trio January 1963 session.

Edited by brownie

Just to listen to the cds of Incredible Jimmy Smith at Club Baby Grand is an amazing experience

I'd like to do just that. Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but are these available? I noticed at CDUniverse they've been on backorder for a loooooooong time. I need to get this set. Give me yours please. :alien:

Hi Free For All,

I actually have an extra copy of Jimmy Smith "At Club Baby Grand, Vol. 2" which I'd like to trade or sell. It is the Japanese TOCJ-1529 released a few years ago. It's open, but in mint condition (even has the OBI).

It's a great CD, with the tunes "Caravan", "Love is a Many Splendored Thing", "Get Happy", and "It's Allright With Me"... all extended jams, and some good playing by all concerned.

Send me a PM and let me know if you want to work a trade for this CD!

Cheers,

Shane

Just to listen to the cds of Incredible Jimmy Smith at Club Baby Grand is an amazing experience

I'd like to do just that. Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but are these available? I noticed at CDUniverse they've been on backorder for a loooooooong time. I need to get this set. Give me yours please. :alien:

You might have better luck with Tower Records, I know there are some in-store, if not on-line. I just saw, I think, both vol. 1 & 2 in the Sunset Tower this morning. At least one of 'em. Boy, I'm getting old, can't even remember what I saw just five hours ago! :rolleyes:

Blasphemy! The Lord says there was an unissued 'Organic Greenery' recorded at the June 13, 1960 session. So does the Ruppli-Cuscuna BN Label discography which lists the tune as rejected.

The tune was redone at the Smith-Green-Bailey trio January 1963 session.

I assume that you are joking, but, does it really matter about "Organic Greenery"? I don't give a hoot, to be honest. I was just trying to help.

The title sure suggests that it is from a Green session with organ. Why would they record a track with that name on a date without Grant Green? I suggest that the discography made a boo boo.

I used to have a vinyl edition of "Special Guests". It was a  compilation of tracks which didn't make it to the original albums.  I sold mine a while back as everything is now available on cd.

John, do you remember the track order and where Organic Greenery fits in? Or somebody else? I would be grateful for info on this. This must have been an obscure album, and it seems difficult to come by any additional information about it.

Sorry Swinging Swede, it was a while ago. But the Japanese lp was certainly redundant.

I used to have a vinyl edition of "Special Guests". It was a  compilation of tracks which didn't make it to the original albums.  I sold mine a while back as everything is now available on cd.

John, do you remember the track order and where Organic Greenery fits in? Or somebody else? I would be grateful for info on this. This must have been an obscure album, and it seems difficult to come by any additional information about it.

I have a copy of the Japanese LP - Toshiba/Aurex BNJ-50101 - Jimmy Smith: Special Guests. The track order is:

Smith Walk

Lonesome Road

Blue Room

S' Wonderful

Organic Greenery

Day In, Day Out